Pain Management During Radiotherapy for Head and Neck Cancers
Head and neck cancers is the term broadly used for cancers arising from the epithelial lining of the upper aerodigestive tract, mainly the oral cavity, pharynx, larynx, salivary glands, and paranasal sinuses. Most common pathology is squamous cell carcinoma. Tobacco, areca nut, alcohol consumption, and poor nutrition along with human papillomavirus and Epstein-Barr virus are being reported as causative reasons for oral cancers .
- 1.IARC Working Group on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to humans. Alcohol consumption and ethyl carbamate. IARC Mongor Eval Carcinog Risks Hum. 2010;96:3–1383.Google Scholar
- 7.International Association for the Study of Pain. Classification of chronic pain. Description of chronic pain syndromes and definition of pain terms. Seattle: IASP Press; 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.Brief Pain Inventory-Short form. http://www.npcrc.org/files/news/briefpain_short.pdf.
- 16.Saunders DP, Epstein JB, Elad S, et al. Mucositis Study Group of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer/International Society of Oral Oncology Systematic review of antimicrobials, mucosal coating agents, anesthetics, and analgesics for the treatment of oral mucositis in cancer patients. Support Care Cancer. 2013;21:3191–207.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Nicolatou O, Sotiropoulou-Lantu A, Skarlatous L, et al. A pilot study of the effect of granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor on oral mucositis in head and neck cancer patients during X-radiation therapy: a preliminary report. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1998;42:551–36.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Twycross R. Introducing palliative care. 4th ed. Oxon: Radcliffe Medical Press Ltd; 2003. p. 61–74.Google Scholar
- 24.Sjogren P, Elsner F, Kaasa S. Non-opioid analgesics. In: Cherny N, Fallon M, Kaasa S, et al., editors. Oxford textbook of palliative medicine. 5th ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2015. p. 566–75.Google Scholar
- 25.Fallon MT, Cherny NI. Opioid therapy: optimizing analgesic outcomes. In: Cherny N, Fallon M, Kaasa S, et al., editors. Oxford textbook of palliative medicine. 5th ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2015. p. 525–58.Google Scholar
- 26.Fred F. Ferri's clinical advisor 2017: 5 books in 1: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2016. p. 1154–5.Google Scholar
- 28.The Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (Amendment) Act, 2014. The Gazette of India. Ministry of Law and Justice. http://www.indiacode.nic.in/acts2014/16%20of%202014.pdf.