The Diffusion of Radiology and Its Effects on Hospital Management
In 1918, Koichiro Masago, surgeon at the Wakayama Red Cross Hospital, went to Tokyo and spent half a year studying radiology at Juntendo Hospital under Dr. Koichi Fujinami. He then continued his training, spending three months at an army hospital in Tokyo, the University of Kyoto, and Kaisei Hospital in Osaka. During this period of specialization, he used X-ray devices made by various manufacturers and eventually chose a piece of equipment developed by Shimadzu for the Wakayama Red Cross Hospital, to which he returned in 1919. After this first radiological equipment came another new acquisition in 1923. In 1935 and the years thereafter, the X-ray devices underwent regular upgrades to more modern versions.