Gossypol is extracted from the roots, stems, leaves, and seeds of the plant cotton. Amounting evidences showed that gossypol impaired the sperm quality significantly, and it was the world’s first male contraceptive. However, due to the presence of hypokalemia and irreversible antifertility risk of gossypol, the clinical indications of male contraceptives are not approved by the Chinese Food and Drug Administration. At present, gossypol and its derivatives are mainly used for female uterine fibroids, functional uterine bleeding, and endometriosis treatment. In addition, the treatment of gossypol and its derivatives in the tumor is gradually confirmed clinically.
KeywordsGossypol Contraceptive Tumor
- 1.Wuhan Medical College, et al. Investigation of infertility caused by the consumption of crude sesame oil. Natl Gossypol Res Exch. 1972.Google Scholar
- 2.Wang Y, Luo Y, Tang X. Study on the anti-fertility effect of cottonseed meal and gossypol. Acta Pharm Sin. 1979;14(11):662–9.Google Scholar
- 3.Wang Q, Guan M, Lei H. (−) and (+) gossypol on male fertility in male rats. Acta Pharm Sin. 1984;19(12):932–4.Google Scholar
- 4.Li J, Li Z. Study on the reproductive behavior of gossypol in women. Adv Mod Obstet Gynecol. 1994;3(4):367–71.Google Scholar
- 5.Yuan J. Review, thinking and prospect of gossypol contraceptive research. Chin J Tradit Med Sci Technol. 1996;3(9):5–7.Google Scholar
- 6.Dai Y, Yang S, Tang H. Study on the anti-tumor effect of L-gossypol. Chin J Pharmaceut Sci. 2009;18(19):1–4.Google Scholar
- 7.Gossypol combined with docetaxel and cisplatin scheme in advanced non small-cell lung cancers with APE1 high expression. ClinicalTrials.gov Web Site 2013, November 11.
- 8.Castro JE, Loria OJ, Aguillon RA, et al. A phase II, open label study of AT-101 in combination with rituximab in patients with relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia: evaluation of two dose regimens. Blood. 2007;110(11):Abst 3119.Google Scholar