Multi-Scale Directional Mask Pattern for Medical Image Classification and Retrieval
This paper presents a classification scheme for interstitial lung disease (ILD) pattern using patch-based approach and artificial neural network (ANN) classifier. A new feature descriptor, Multi-Scale Directional Mask Pattern (MSDMP), is proposed for feature extraction. Proposed MSDMP extracts microstructure information from a (31 × 31) size patches of the region of interest (ROI) which were marked by the radiologists. A two-layer feed-forward neural network is used for classification of ILD patterns. Also, proposed MSDMP feature descriptor has been tested on medical image retrieval system to check its robustness. Two benchmark medical datasets are used to evaluate the proposed descriptor. Performance analysis shows that the proposed feature descriptor outperforms the other existing state-of-the-art methods in terms of average recognition rate (ARR) and F-score.
KeywordILD artificial neural network feature descriptor
- 1.Lung Disease & Respiratory Health Center. http://www.webmd.com/lung.
- 7.A. Depeursinge, D. Sage, A. Hidki, A. Platon, P.-A. Poletti, M. Unser, and H. Müller (2007) Lung tissue classification using wavelet frames. In: 29th Annual International Conference of the IEEE. EMBS 2007, pp. 6259–62.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Depeursinge, D. Ville, P. A., A. Geissbuhler, P. Poletti, and H. Muller (2012) Near-Affine-Invariant Texture Learning for Lung Tissue Analysis Using IsotropicWavelet Frames. IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 665–675.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Depeursinge, P. Pad, A. S. Chin, A. N. Leung, D. L. Rubin, H. Muller, and M. Unser (2015) Optimized steerable wavelets for texture analysis of lung tissue in 3-D CT: Classification of usual interstitial pneumonia. In: 12th International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI) 2015, pp. 403–6.Google Scholar
- 14.A Dudhane, G Shingadkar, P Sanghavi, B Jankharia and S Talbar (2017) Interstitial Lung Disease Classification Using Feed Forward Neural Networks. In: ICCASP, Advances in Intelligent Systems Research, vol. 137, pp. 515–521.Google Scholar
- 16.S. N. Talbar, R. S. Holambe, and T. R. Sontakke (1998) Supervised texture classification using wavelet transform. In 4th international conference on Signal Processing Proceedings ICSP ’98, pp. 1177–80.Google Scholar
- 17.M. Nagao, K. Murase, Y. Yasuhara, and I. Junpei (1998) Quantitative Analysis of Pulmonary Emphysema : Three-DimensionalFractal Analysis of Single-Photon Emission ComputedTomography ImagesObtained with a Carbon ParticleRadioaerosol. American journal of roentgenology, vol. 171, no. 6, pp. 1657–63.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.O. Friman, U. Tylén, H. Knutsson, M. Borga, and M. Lundberg (2002) Recognizing emphysema - a neural network approach. In: 16th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 1, pp. 512–515.Google Scholar
- 28.VIA/ELCAP CT Lung Image Dataset, available from [online]: https://veet.via.cornell.edu/lungdb.html.