Cascading-Failure Tolerance for Language Service Networks
One of the main features of The Language Grid is its support for service composition, i.e. creating new language services that meet user requirements by combining the existing ones. Despite the potential of service composition, such a service-oriented computing (SOC) application may experience cascading failure when a disruption on one or more component services is propagated to the composite services that combine them. As the number of language services grows, composite language services will become more common, and thus understanding cascading failure among language services becomes more important. This chapter investigates how failure may propagate among language services and how to improve language service tolerance to cascading failure. To this end, the dependency between language services is modeled as service network on which cascading failure is simulated and analyzed. We also generated service networks in scale-free, exponential, and random topology to analyze how cascading failure occurs in different topology. The simulation reveals that service networks with scale-free topology have better cascading-failure tolerance compares to that of other topology.
KeywordsCascading failure Service network Scale-free network
This research was supported by the Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (S) (24220002, 2012–2016) from Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS).
- 1.Armbrust, M., Fox, O., Griffith, R., Joseph, A.D., Katz, Y., Konwinski, A., Lee, G., Patterson, D., Rabkin, A., Stoica, I., Zaharia, M.: Above the Clouds: A Berkeley View of Cloud Computing. Technical Report, University of California at Berkeley (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Erdős, P., Rényi, A.: On the evolution of random graphs. Magyar Tud. Akad. Mat. Kutató Int. Közl 5, 17–61 (1960)Google Scholar
- 9.Huang, K., Fan, Y., Tan, W.: An empirical study of programmable web: a network analysis on a service-mashup system. In: 2012 IEEE 19th International Conference on Web Services (ICWS), pp. 552–559 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Ishida, T. (ed.): The Language Grid: Service-Oriented Collective Intelligence for Language Resource Interoperability. Springer Science & Business Media (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Ishida, T., Murakami, Y., Lin, D., Nakaguchi, T., Otani, M.: Open Language Grid: towards a global language service infrastructure. In: The Third ASE International Conference on Social Informatics (SocialInformatics 2014), Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Lhaksmana, K.M., Murakami, Y., Ishida, T.: Cascading failure tolerance in large-scale service networks. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Services Computing (SCC), pp. 1–8 (2015)Google Scholar
- 17.Murakami, Y., Tanaka, M., Lin, D., Ishida, T.: Service grid federation architecture for heterogeneous domains. In: 2012 IEEE Ninth International Conference on Services Computing (SCC), pp. 539–546 (2012)Google Scholar