Study on the Relation Between Smartphone Icons with Negative Emotion and Color Influence Factors
Emotion design for the user interface, especially the user interface of smartphones, directly affects user interaction, and is influencing the future of design development. Negative emotions are negative emotional experience in psychology, such as fear, sadness and anger. However, few researches on smartphone icons with negative emotion are proposed. In this study, questionnaire, frequency analysis and multiple regression analysis were utilized to analyze the relation between smartphone icons with negative emotion and the specific role of four color influence factors: memory color, visual comfort, color saturation and color image, on emotional arousal. The outcome suggests the particular design focus and design principle on smartphone icons with different types of negative emotion.
KeywordsIcon design Negative emotion Color
This research was supported by the Zhejiang Provincial Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. LQ14E050010), and the Social Science and Humanity on Young Fund of the Ministry of Education (Grant No.16YJC760047).
- 1.Rou W (2014) Review on contemporary emotion design study. Design 06:25–26Google Scholar
- 2.Ekman P (1999) Basic emotions. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., U.KGoogle Scholar
- 5.Fokkinga SF, Desmet PMA (2013) Ten ways to design for disgust, sadness, and other enjoyments: A design approach to enrich product experiences with negative emotions. Int J Des 7(1):19–36Google Scholar
- 6.Norman D (2005) Emotion design. Basic booksGoogle Scholar
- 7.Hong BS (2009) The relation between emotional imageries of commercial images and color preference factors. J Des 14(4)Google Scholar
- 8.Yendrikhovskij SN, Blommaert FJJ, de Ridder H (1998) Optimizing color reproduction of natural images. In: The sixth color imaging conference: color science, systems, and applications. Society for Imaging Science and Technology, pp 140–145Google Scholar