Application of Parametric Methods for Earthquake Precursors Using GPS TEC
Total Electron Content (TEC) perturbations observed for event happened on 15th January 2014 in Indonesia with the magnitude of M ~ 4.5 on Richter scale are investigated. The earthquake occurred at 9:26 h Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Yule–Walker, Covariance, Modified Covariance and Burg parametric methods are used to find out the change in the spectrum of signals with and without disturbances in the signal. From the analysis, it is observed that ionosphere was disturbed thrice due to the impending earthquake resulting in upraise of energy in the ionosphere at 10:13 h LTC, 10:40 h LTC and finally at 10:52 h LTC, which is coinciding with that of the earthquake occurrence. These studies in future may help in developing early-warning systems for earthquakes.
KeywordsTotal electron content Parametric methods Earthquake
Author’s sincere acknowledgments are given to DST, Government of India for finically funding this work under the projects SR/AS-04/WOS-A/2011 and SR/S4/AS-91/2012.
- 2.Pulinets, S.: Ionospheric precursors of earthquakes; recent advances in theory and practical applications. TAO 15(3), 413–435 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Singh, A.K., et al.: Electrodynamical coupling of earth’s atmosphere and ionosphere: an overview. Int. J. Geophys. 2011, Article ID 971302, 13 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2011/971302
- 4.Lin, J.W.: Ionospheric total electron content (TEC) anomalies associated with earth quakes through Karhunen-Loéve trans form (KLT). Terr. Atmos. Ocean. Sci. 21(2), 253–265 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Gosh, D., Midy, S.K.: Associating an ionospheric parameter with major earthquake occurence throughout the world. J. Earth Syst. Sci. 123(1), 63–71Google Scholar
- 6.Boyarchuk, K.A.: Estimation of the concentration of complex negative ions resulting from radioactive contamination of the troposphere. Tech. Phys. 44(3)Google Scholar
- 7.Pulinets, S.A., Boyarchuk, K.A.: Ionospheric Precursors of Earthquakes. Springer Publ (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Mishra, P.: Global Positioning Systems, 2nd edn. Ganga-Jamuna PressGoogle Scholar
- 10.Lin, J.W.: Ionospheric precursor for the 20 April, 2013, Mw = 6.6 China’ Lushan earthquake: two-dimensional principal component analysis (2DPCA). German J. Earth Sci. Res. (GJESR), 1(1), 1–12 (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Hayes M.H.: Statistical digital processing and modeling. Georgia Institute of Technology, Wiley, IncGoogle Scholar
- 13.Revathi, R., Lakshminarayana, S., Koteswara Rao, S., Ramesh, K.S., Uday Kiran, K.: Observation of ionospheric disturbances for earthquakes (M > 4) occurred during june 2013 to july 2014 in Indonesia using wavelets. Proc. SPIE 9876, 98763E. © 2016 SPIE · CCC code: 0277-786X/16/$18 · https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2227301