Filling Hole on the Surface of 3D Point Clouds Based on Reverse Computation of Bezier Curves
Reconstructing the surface of a 3D object is an important step in geometric modeling. This paper presents a proposed method for filling the holes on a surface of 3D point clouds based on reverse computation of Bezier curves. The novelty of the method is processed directly on the 3D point clouds consisting of three steps. In the first step, we extract the exterior boundary of the surface. In the second step, we detect the hole boundary and its extended boundary. In the third step, we fill the holes based on the reverse computation of Bezier curves and surface patch to find and insert missing points into the holes. Our method could process very fast comparing to the existing methods, fill all holes on the surface, and obtain a reconstructed surface that is watertight and close to the initial shape of the input surface.
This research is funded by Vietnam National University Ho Chi Minh City (VNU-HCM) under grant number C2016-28-07. We would like to thank VNU-HCM for the fund.
- 1.P.Verney, “Interprétation géologique de donneés sismiques par une méthode supervisée basée sur la vision cognitive”, PhD Thesis, École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Paris, 2009.Google Scholar
- 2.Van Sinh Nguyen, Trong Hai Trinh, Manh Ha Tran, “Hole Boundary Detection of a Surface of 3D point clouds”, Proceedings of International Conference on Advanced Computing and Applications (ACOMP 2015). Pages. 124–129, IEEE ISBN-13: 978-1-4673-8234-2, 2015.Google Scholar
- 3.V.S. Nguyen, A. Bac, M. Daniel, “Boundary Extraction and Simplification of a Surface Defined by a Sparse 3D Volume”, The third international symposium on information and communication technology SoICT, pp. 115–124, ACM-ISBN: 978-1-4503- 1232-5, 2012.Google Scholar
- 4.Pierre Bézier, “History of Bezier curve”, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre Bézier.
- 5.David F.Rogers, “An Introduction To NURBS With Historical Perspective”, ISBN- 10:1-55860-669-6, Academic Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- 6.Syed Belal, Shashank.Kr.Tripathi, Shashank Kaswdhan, Md. Nadeem Akhtar, Satish Kumar Dwivedi, Rahul Singh, “Inverse Point Solution of Bezier Curve”, International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Volume 4, Issue 6, ISSN 2229-5518, June 2013.Google Scholar
- 7.Marta Szilvasi-Nagy, “Filling Holes with B-spline Surfaces”, Journal for Geometry and Graphics Volume 6, No. 1, Pages. 83-98, 2002.Google Scholar
- 8.Licio H.B, “Efficient computation of Bezier curves from their Bernstein-Fourier representation”, Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol.220, pp. 235–238, 2013.Google Scholar
- 9.Chong P.L, Cheong K.Y “Approximation of free-form curve-airfoil shape”, Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp. 692–702, 2013.Google Scholar
- 10.Van Sinh Nguyen, “3D Modeling of elevation surfaces from voxel structured point clouds extracted from seismic cubes”, PhD Thesis, Aix-Marseille University, 2013.Google Scholar
- 11.Ji Ma, “Surface reconstruction from unorganized point cloud data via progressive local mesh matching”, PhD Thesis, School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, The Univerity of Western Ontario, 2011.Google Scholar
- 12.Nam-Van Tran, “Traitement de surfaces triangule ́es pour la construction des mode`les geologique structuraux”, PhD Thesis, Universite ́ de la Me ́diterrane ́e, 2008.Google Scholar
- 13.Van Sinh NGUYEN, Manh Ha TRAN, Ba Cong NHAN, “A Complete Method for Reconstructing an Elevation Surface of 3D Point Clouds”, REV Journal on Electronics and Communications, IEEE ISSN 1859–378X, Vol. 4, No. 34, Pages. 85–91, May 2015.Google Scholar
- 14.Yann Quinsat, Claire Lartigue, “Filling holes in digitized point cloud using a morphing-based approach to preserve volume characteristics”, International Journal of Advantages Manufacturing Technology, 81(1), pp. 411–421, 2015.Google Scholar
- 15.Hongwei Lin, Wei Chen, Hujun Bao, “Adaptive patch-based mesh fitting for reverse engineering”, Journal of Computer-Aided Design, Vol. 39(2007), pp. 1134–1142, 2007.Google Scholar
- 16.Amitesh.K, Alan .S, Yasushi I, Douglas. R and Bharat.S, “A Hole-filling Algorithm Using Non-uniform Rational B-splines”, in Proceedings of the 16th International Meshing Roundtable, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2008, pp. 169–182, 2007.Google Scholar
- 17.Xiao J.Wu, Michael Y.Wang, B.Han, “An Automatic Hole-Filling Algorithm for Polygon Meshes” Computer Aided Design And Applications, Vol. 5, Issue. 6, Pages. 889–899, 2008.Google Scholar
- 18.Gen Li, Xiu-Zi Ye, San-Yuan Zhang, “An algorithm for filling complex holes in reverse engineering” Journal of Engineering with Computers archive, Vol. 24 Issue 2, pp 119–125, Springer-Verlag London, UK, 2008.Google Scholar
- 19.Pave Chalmoviansky, Bert Juttler, “Filling Holes in Point Clouds” Mathematics of Surfaces Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2003, Vol. 2768/2003, Pages. 196–212, 2003.Google Scholar
- 20.Zhiyi.Z, Xian.Z, Huayang .Z, “A sampling method based on curvature analysis of cubic Bezier curve”, Journal of Computer, Vol. 9, No. 3, Pages. 595–600, March 2014.Google Scholar
- 21.J. Kozak, M. Krajnc, “Geometric interpolation by planar cubic polynomial curves”, The journal Computer Aided Geometric Design, 24 (2007), pp. 67–78, 2007.Google Scholar
- 22.“Meshlab”, http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/, 2016.
- 23.ISTI, “The Visualization and Computer Graphics”, http://vcg.isti.cnr.it/vcglib/, 2016.
- 24.P.Cignoni, C.Rocchini, R.Scopigno, “Metro: Measuring error on simplified surfaces”, The Eurographics Association 1998, 17(2), 1998.Google Scholar
- 25.M. Pauly, M. Gross, L.P. Kobbelt, “Efficient simplification of pointsampled surfaces”, Visualization VIS IEEE 2002, Page.163–170, ISBN: 0-7803-7498-3, 2002.Google Scholar
- 26.John A. Gregory and Jianwei Zhou, “Filling polygonal holes with bicubic patches”, Journal of Computer Aided Geometric Design, 11(1994), Page. 391–410, 1994.Google Scholar
- 27.A.Sampath, J.Shan, “Building Boundary Tracing and Regularization from Airborne Lidar Point Clouds”, Photogrammetric engineering and remote sensing, Volume. 73, Number. 7, Pages. 805–812, 2007.Google Scholar
- 28.Shen Wei, “Building Boundary Extraction Based on LiDAR Point Clouds Data”, The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Vol. 37, Part. B3b, 2008.Google Scholar