Resilience-Based Public Policy/Approaches Assessment Framework
This chapter provides a framework for assessing resilience-based public policy/approaches by synthesizing key findings and insights for resilience-based public policy/approaches presented in previous chapters, which can be applied to projects or programs by multi-stakeholders at diverse scales in different contexts. Given that numerous resilience assessment frameworks and indexes/indicators have recently emerged, this chapter articulates how resilience-based public policy/approaches assessment framework (RB-PP/AAF) can contribute to existing resilience assessment frameworks or other relevant mechanisms for analysis. Specifically, the chapter outlines (1) what the RB-PP/AAF is and how it can address “missing links” with regard to existing resilience assessment frameworks, (2) what the assessment components of the RB-PP/AAF are and how they are linked with each other, and (3) how the RB-PP/AAF is applicable to projects or programs that address challenges in a modern risk society.
- Beccari, B. (2016). A comparative analysis of disaster risk, vulnerability and resilience composite indicators. PLoS currents, 8.Google Scholar
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. (2012). Managing the risks of extreme events and disasters to advance climate change adaptation. https://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/special-reports/srex/SREX_Full_Report.pdf. Accessed March 10, 2018.
- Matyas, D., & Pelling, M. (2015). Positioning resilience for 2015: The role of resistance, incremental adjustment and transformation in disaster risk management policy. Disasters, 39.Google Scholar
- Parsons, M., Morley, P, et al. (2016b). The Australian natural disaster resilience index:conceptural framework and indicator approach. Bushfire and Natural Hazards CRC. https://www.bnhcrc.com.au/publications/biblio/bnh-2585. Accessed April 3, 2018.
- Plattner, H. (2010). An introduction to design thinking. Process guide. https://dschool-old.stanford.edu/sandbox/groups/designresources/wiki/36873/attachments/74b3d/ModeGuideBOOTCAMP2010L.pdf. Accessed March 10, 2018.
- Schipper, E. L. F., & Langston, L. (2015). A comparative overview of resilience measurement frameworks. London: Overseas Development Institute.Google Scholar
- Twigg, J. (2007). Characteristics of a disaster-resilient community: A guidance note to the DFID DRR Interagency Coordination Group. London: The Benfield UCL Hazard Research Centre.Google Scholar