Nexus of Resilience and Public Policy: Case of Hurricane Sandy in New York
This chapter provides a systemic review of cases involving the Hurricane Sandy which struck East Coast of the USA in October 2012 with the focus on New York City (NYC), through the lenses of resilience-based public policy with the structural and operational views (see the Chaps. 2 and 3).
- American College of Emergency Physicians (2015) Lessons Learned from Hurricane Sandy and Recommendations for Improved Healthcare and Public Health Response and Recovery for Future Catastrophic Events. https://www.acep.org/uploadedFiles/ACEP/Practice_Resources/disater_and_EMS/Lessons%20Learned%20from%20Hurricane%20Sandy%20webpage.pdf. Accessed February 10, 2018.
- Elsner, J. B., & Kara, A. B. (1999). Hurricanes of the North Atlantic: Climate and society. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Folke, C., Carpenter, S., Walker, B., Scheffer, M., Chapin, T., & Rockström, J. (2010). Resilience thinking: integrating resilience, adaptability and transformability. Ecology and Society, 15(4).Google Scholar
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (2018) New Study Finds Sea Level Rise Accelerating. https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2018/new-study-finds-sea-level-rise-accelerating. Accessed February 14, 2018.
- New York City. (2013). A Stronger, More Resilient New York. http://www.nyc.gov/html/sirr/html/report/report.shtml. Accessed May 17, 2017.
- New York Governor’s Office of Storm Recovery https://stormrecovery.ny.gov/community-reconstruction-program. Accessed 10 May 2017.
- NY Rising Community Reconstruction (NYRCR) Canarsie Planning Committee. (2014). Canarsie NY Rising Community Reconstruction Plan. https://stormrecovery.ny.gov/sites/default/files/crp/community/documents/canarsie_nyrcr_3-2_final.pdf. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- NY Rising Community Reconstruction (NYRCR) Rockaway East Planning Committee. (2014). Rockaway NY Rising Community Reconstruction Plan. https://stormrecovery.ny.gov/sites/default/files/crp/community/documents/rockawayeast_nyrcr_plan_29mb.pdf. Accessed May 15, 2017.
- Rebuild by Design www.rebuildbydesign.org/. Accessed March 2017.
- Parris, A. (2014) How Hurricane Sandy tamed the bureaucracy. Issues in Science and Technology, 30(4), Summer.Google Scholar
- Simpson, R. H., & Lawrence, M. B. (1971). Atlantic hurricane frequencies along the US coastline (No. 58). National Weather Service, Southern Region.Google Scholar
- Knowlton, K. & Rotkin-Ellman, M. (2014). Preparing for climate change: lessons for coastal cities from Hurricane Sandy. NRDC Report. Natural Resources Defense Council. https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/hurricane-sandy-coastal-flooding-report.pdf. Accessed January 5, 2018.
- Freedman A. (2012). 32-foot-plus waves from Hurricane Sandy topple records. Climate Central http://www.climatecentral.org/news/32-foot-wave-from-hurricane-sandy-topples-records-noaa-finds-15241. Accessed January 5, 2018.
- City of New York (2011). Greener, greater New york. http://www.nyc.gov/html/planyc/downloads/pdf/publications/planyc_2011_planyc_full_report.pdf. Accessed January 5, 2018.