FPGA Architecture for Real-Time Ultra-High Definition Glasses-Free 3D System
This paper presents an FPGA architecture for real-time ultra-high definition (UHD) glasses-free 3D system by solving high bandwidth requirement and high complexity of the system problems. Video + Depth (V + D) video format and the depth-image-based rendering (DIBR) technique are supported by the system to reduce the requirement of bandwidth. In addition, an asymmetric shift-sensor camera setup is introduced to reduce the hardware cost as well as the complexity of the system. We also simplify the microlens array weight equations so as to reduce the complexity of subpixel rearrangement coefficients calculation for glasses-free 3D image creation. Experiments results show that the proposed architecture can support the resolution of 4K for real-time UHD glasses-free 3D display.
KeywordsUltra high definition Glasses-free 3D display Depth-image-based rendering Multiview rendering FPGA
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 61201347) and the Chongqing foundation & advanced research project (cstc2016jcyjA0103).
- 1.Liu, R., Tan, W., Wu, Y., Tan, Y., Li, B., Xie, H., Tai, G., Xu, X.: Deinterlacing of depth-image-based three-dimensional video for a depth-image-based rendering system. J. Electron. Imaging 22(3) (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Fehn. C.: Depth-image-based rendering (DIBR), compression and transmission for a new approach on 3D-TV. In: 2004 SPIE Stereoscopic Displays and Virtual Reality Systems XI, 19 January–21 January 2004, San Jose, CA, United States, pp. 93–104 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Neil, A.: Autostereoscopic 3D displays. Computer 8, 32–36 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Jin, L., Liang, C., Ying, L., Xie, Y.: Design of spaceborne SAR imaging processing and fast verification based on FPGA. In: IET International Radar Conference 2013, pp. 1–5 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, Z., Ye, X.S., Zhang, H., Lu, L., Lu, C., Cheng, L.C.: Real-time 3D video system based on FPGA. In: International Conference on Consumer Electronics, Communications and Networks, pp. 469–472 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, R., Xie, H., Tai, G., Tan, Y., Guo, R., Luo, W., Xu, X., Liu, J.: Depth adjustment for depth-image-based rendering in 3D TV system. J. Inf. Comput. Sci. 8(16), 4233–4240 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Ren, P., Zhang, X., Bi, H., Sun, H., Zheng, N.: Towards an efficient multiview display processing architecture for 3D TV. IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II Express Briefs PP(99), 1 (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Liu, R., Xie, H., Tai, G., Tan, Y.: A DIBR view judgment-based fold-elimination approach. J. Tongji Univ. 41(1), 142–147 (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhao, W.X., Wang, Q.H., Li, D.H., Tao, Y.H., Wang, F.N.: Sub-pixel arrangement for multi-view autostereoscopic display based on step parallax barrier. Sichuan Daxue Xuebao 41(6), 216–218+236 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Tan, W.: Research on key technologies of glasses-free 3D display. Chongqing University (2014)Google Scholar