Analysis for Inerter-Based Vibration System
This chapter investigates the influence of inerter on the natural frequencies of vibration systems. First of all, the natural frequencies of a single-degree-of-freedom (SDOF) system and a two-degree-of-freedom (TDOF) system are derived algebraically and the fact that inerter can reduce the natural frequencies of these systems is demonstrated. Then, to further investigate the influence of inerter in a general vibration system, a multi-degree-of-freedom system (MDOF) is considered. Sensitivity analysis is performed on the natural frequencies and mode shapes to demonstrate that the natural frequencies of the MDOF system can always be reduced by increasing the inertance of any inerter. The condition for a general MDOF system of which the natural frequencies can be reduced by an inerter is also derived. Finally, the influence of inerter position on the natural frequencies is investigated and the efficiency of inerter in reducing the largest natural frequencies is verified by simulating a six-degree-of-freedom system, where a reduction of more than \(47\%\) is obtained by employing only five inerters.
KeywordsNatural frequency Single-degree-of-freedom system Two-degree-of-freedom system Multi-degree-of-freedom system Sensitivity analysis
- Chen, M. Z. Q., Hu, Y., & Du, B. (2012). Suspension performance with one damper and one inerter. In The 24th Chinese Control and Decision Conference, Taiyuan, China (pp. 3551–3556).Google Scholar
- Horn, R. A., & Johnson, C. R. (1988). Matrix analysis. New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Thomson, W. T. (1993). Theory of vibration with applications (4th ed.). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Tse, F. S., Morse, I. E., & Hinkle, R. T. (1979). Mechanical vibrations. Maruzen Asian Edition: Allyn and Bacon.Google Scholar
- Wang, F. C., Hong, M. F., & Chen, C. W. (2010). Building suspensions with inerters. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 224(8), 1605–1616.Google Scholar