The Internet has so fundamentally changed research and publishing—searching, collaborating, communicating, analysing, authoring, publishing, distributing, sharing and publishing business models—that it is difficult to recall how either process occurred without it. While the scope of change reaches far beyond what this chapter will cover, authors should be aware of some central issues related to electronic publishing. Most of this chapter pertains primarily to journal publishing, but the information on drafting content applies to any form of authoring.
- 1.Clark J. How to avoid predatory journals—a five-point plan. BMJ Blogs. http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2015/01/19/jocalyn-clark-how-to-avoid-predatory-journals-a-five-point-plan/. Accessed 9 Sept 2015.
- 2.World Association of Medical Editors, Committee on Publication Ethics, Directory of Open Access Journals, Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association. Principles of transparency and best practice in scholarly publishing. http://www.wame.org/about/principles-of-transparency-and-best-practice. Accessed 9 Sept 2015.
- 3.National Institutes of Health. Public access policy. http://publicaccess.nih.gov/. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 4.Open access policy. Medical Research Council. www.mrc.ac.uk/research/research-policy-ethics/open-access-policy/. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 5.Open access policy: position statement in support of open and unrestricted access to published research. www.wellcome.ac.uk/About-us/Policy/Spotlight-issues/Open-access/Policy/index.htm. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 6.HINARI. http://www.who.int/hinari/en/. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 7.Lundh A, Barbateskovic M, Hróbjartsson A, Gøtzsche PC. Conflicts of interest at medical journals: the influence of industry-supported randomised trials on journal impact factors and revenue––cohort study. PLoS Med. 2010;7:e1000354. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000354.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 8.JAMA. Authorship responsibility, financial disclosure, acknowledgment, and copyright transfer/publishing agreement. http://jama.jamanetwork.com/data/ifora-forms/jama/auinst_crit.pdf. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 9.Open-access license: no permission required. PLOS. http://www.plosone.org/static/license.action. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 10.About the licenses: what our licenses do. Creative Commons. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 11.Figures. PLOS Medicine. http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/s/figures. Accessed 2 Jun 2015.
- 12.Figures in accepted manuscript. JAMA. http://jama.jamanetwork.com/data/ifora-forms/jama/jamatechreqfigures.pdf. Accessed 2 Jun 2015.
- 13.Announcement regarding supplemental material. http://www.jneurosci.org/content/30/32/10599.full. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 14.PLOS. Editorial and publishing policies: sharing of materials, methods, and data. www.plos.org/policies/#sharing. Accessed 2 Jun 2015.
- 15.NISO/NFAIS Supplemental Journal Article Materials Project. http://www.niso.org/workrooms/supplemental. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 17.Image integrity. Archives of dermatology instructions for authors. http://archderm.jamanetwork.com/public/instructionsForAuthors.aspx#SecFigures. Accessed 2 Jun 2012.
- 18.Data Integrity. About JCB. http://jcb.rupress.org/site/misc/about.xhtml. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 21.PLOS embargo policy. http://www.plos.org/about/media-inquiries/embargo-policy/. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 22.Amin M, Mabe M. Impact factors: use and abuse. Elsevier Perspectives in Publishing October 2000; revised 2007. http://www.elsevier.com/framework_editors/pdfs/Perspectives1.pdf. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 23.Hirsch JE. An index to quantify an individual’s scientific research output. arXiv:physics/0508025v5. 29 Sept 2005. http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~palsberg/hirsch05.pdf. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 25.Usage factor: introduction to release 1 of the COUNTER code of practice for usage factors. http://www.projectcounter.org/usage_factor.html. Accessed 2 Jun 2015.
- 26.Priem J, Taraboreilli D, Groth P, Neylon C. Altmetrics: a manifesto. 26 October 2010. http://altmetrics.org/manifesto/. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 27.PLOS. Article level metrics. Overview. http://article-level-metrics.plos.org/alm-info/. Accessed 25 Apr 2015.
- 28.Nature’s peer review trial. Nature 2006. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature05535.
- 31.Topic Pages. PLoS Comput Biol. http://topicpages.ploscompbiol.org/wiki/Topic_Pages#cite_note-TopiPageCollection-4. Accessed 26 Aug 2015.
- 33.Inferring horizontal gene transfer. Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferring_horizontal_gene_transfer. Accessed 26 Aug 2015.