Association of Spectators Based Brand Equity (SBBE) and Fans Attendance: A Case of Selangor Football Fans
The concept of brand equity is often used to analyze how a brand can add value to a product or service. Brand researchers have developed several conceptualizations of brands equity in understanding consumer behavior in different industry. However, there is a paucity of research utilizing the brand equity concepts in comprehending sports consumer in supporting successful sports team. Thus, the present study aims to examine the relationship of brand association and brand awareness with the attendance of Selangor football fans, utilizing the Spectator-Based Brands Equity (SBBE) model. Convenience sampling technique was used to involve 150 Selangor football fans attending football matches in Stadium Shah Alam, as respondents. Data were collected through self-administered questionnaire. In brand association, three dimensions with the highest mean are team history (M = 5.99), followed by commitment (M = 5.81), and team success (M = 5.68). As for brands awareness, identification (M = 5.78) has a higher mean than internalization (M = 5.37). Both brand awareness (r = 0.638, p < 0.001), and brand association (r = 0.572, p < 0.001) are significantly related to attendance of fans. In conclusion, brands awareness plays a more important role in influencing the attendance of Selangor Football fans. Several suggestions are discussed and recommended for Selangor FA to attract more supporters and sustain fans attendance.
KeywordsBrand equity Brand association Brand awareness
- 2.Kapferer, J. N. (2008). The new strategic brand management: Creating and sustaining brand equity (2nd ed.). London: d’Organization.Google Scholar
- 4.Aaker, D. A. (1991). Managing brand equity: Capitalizing on the value of a brand name. New York, NY: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- 7.Li, H., Jin, H., & Yuan, G. (2011). Research on brand equity of sports—Take the replacement of the brand lining as example. Journal of Sustainable Development, 4(1), 207.Google Scholar
- 9.Biscaia, R., Rosado, A., & Maroco, J. (2013). Spectator-based brand equity in professional soccer. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 22(1), 20–33.Google Scholar
- 13.Ross, S. D., Walsh, P., & Maxwell, H. D. (2008). The impact of team identification on ice hockey brand associations. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 5(1–2), 196–210.Google Scholar