Mitochondrial DNA in Telocytes
Telocyte (TC) is a new identified interstitial cell type with a small nuclear and one or several long and thin prolongations with enlargements on them. They were found in many mammals including humans, mouse, rats, dogs, and monkeys and play vital roles in many physiological and pathological conditions. The ultrastructure of mitochondria was observed in TCs, and the alterations were found in TCs from inflammatory ureter tissue. MtDNA is associated with mitochondria normal functions and involved in physiological and pathological processes. However, mitochondria and mtDNA in TCs were not investigated deeply. This review will introduce the origin, distribution, morphology, and functions of TCs and the distribution and functions of TC mitochondria in order to improve a better understanding of the potential functions of mtDNA in TCs.
KeywordsMitochondria DNA Telocytes
The work was supported by Zhongshan Distinguished Professor Grant (XDW), the National Nature Science Foundation of China (91230204, 81270099, 81320108001, 81270131, 81300010), the Shanghai Committee of Science and Technology (12JC1402200, 12431900207, 11410708600, 14431905100), Operation funding of Shanghai Institute of Clinical Bioinformatics, Ministry of Education for Academic Special Science and Research Foundation for PhD Education (20130071110043), and National Key Research and Development Program (2016YFC0902400, 2017YFSF090207).
- 20.Ye L, D Song, M Jin, X Wang. Therapeutic roles of telocytes in OVA-induced acute asthma in mice. J Cell Mol Med. 2017. [Pubmed:28524369]Google Scholar
- 24.Manetti M, Guiducci S, Ruffo M, Rosa I, Faussone-Pellegrini MS, Matucci-Cerinic M, Ibba-Manneschi L. Evidence for progressive reduction and loss of telocytes in the dermal cellular network of systemic sclerosis. J Cell Mol Med. 2013;17:482–96. [Pubmed:23444845]CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 25.Salin K, Villasevil EM, Auer SK, Anderson GJ, Selman C, Metcalfe NB, Chinopoulos C. Simultaneous measurement of mitochondrial respiration and ATP production in tissue homogenates and calculation of effective P/O ratios. Physiol Rep. 2016;4(20):pii: e13007. [Pubmed:27798358]Google Scholar
- 32.Wang K, Zhou LY, Wang JX, Wang Y, Sun T, Zhao B, Yang YJ, An T, Long B, Li N, Liu CY, Gong Y, Gao JN, Dong YH, Zhang J, Li PF. E2F1-dependent miR-421 regulates mitochondrial fragmentation and myocardial infarction by targeting Pink1. Nat Commun. 2015;6:7619. [Pubmed:26184432]CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 37.Yang F, Yu X, Li T, Wu J, Zhao Y, Liu J, Sun A, Dong S, Wu J, Zhong X, Xu C, Lu F, Zhang W. Exogenous H2S regulates endoplasmic reticulum-mitochondria cross-talk to inhibit apoptotic pathways in STZ-induced type I diabetes. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2017;312:E190–203. [Pubmed:27998959]CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 43.Zekri A, Mesbahi Y, Ghanizadeh-Vesali S, Alimoghaddam K, Ghavamzadeh A, Ghaffari SH. Reactive oxygen species generation and increase in mitochondrial copy number: new insight into the potential mechanism of cytotoxicity induced by aurora kinase inhibitor, AZD1152-HQPA. Anticancer Drugs. 2017;28(8):841–51. [Pubmed:28639950]CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 44.Matsuura TR, Bartos JA, Tsangaris A, Shekar KC, Olson MD, Riess ML, Bienengraeber M, Aufderheide TP, Neumar RW, Rees JN, McKnite SH, Dikalova AE, Dikalov SI, Douglas HF, Yannopoulos D. Early effects of prolonged cardiac arrest and ischemic postconditioning during cardiopulmonary resuscitation on cardiac and brain mitochondrial function in pigs. Resuscitation. 2017;116:8–15. [Pubmed:28408349]CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 46.Black GE, Sokol KK, Moe DM, Simmons J, Muscat D, Pastukh V, Capley G, Gorodnya O, Ruchko M, Roth MB, Gillespie M, Martin MJ. Impact of a novel PI3-KINASE inhibitor in preventing mitochondrial DNA damage and damage associated molecular pattern accumulation: results from the biochronicity project. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017. [Pubmed:28538623]Google Scholar
- 49.Liu R, Xu F, Si S, Zhao X, Bi S, Cen Y. Mitochondrial DNA-induced inflammatory responses and lung injury in thermal injury rat model: protective effect of epigallocatechin gallate. J Burn Care Res. 2017. [Pubmed:28198717]Google Scholar
- 51.Wang W, Gao D, Wang X. Can single-cell RNA sequencing crack the mystery of cells? Cell Biol Toxicol. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10565-017-9404-y. PMID: 28733864
- 56.Paes BCMF, Moço PD, Pereira CG, Porto GS, de Sousa Russo EM, Reis LCJ, Covas DT, Picanço-Castro V. Ten years of iPSC: clinical potential and advances in vitro hematopoietic differentiation. Cell Biol Toxicol. 2017;33(3):233–50. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10565-016-9377-2. PMID: 28039590CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar