Efficient and Reliable Communication of Beidou Short Message in Smart Grid
Communication infrastructure is an essential part to the success of the emerging smart grid. Various communication technologies, such as EPON, PLC, Industrial Ethernet and GPRS/CDMA, have been widely used, which cannot adapt to remote mountain communities and natural disaster areas suffering earthquake, flood and so on. The unique short message subsystem of Beidou satellite navigation system provides a feasible solution to the above-mentioned problem. Unfortunately, there are some resource limitations about Beidou short message, i.e. limited capacity, limited frequency and unreliable transfer. The Automatic Repeat reQuest (ARQ) mechanism preserves reliability by resending the lost packets, which leads to performances degradation of goodput and delay. Whats worse, the transmission will be interrupted under communication constraints. To solve this issue, this paper presents an Adaptive Hybrid Error Correction (AHEC) protocol, which combines the advantages of Selective ARQ and Front Error Correction (FEC). Since the degree of redundancy injected into the coding is adjusted with the feedback information, namely, decreasing when the network is well-behaved and increasing when it is not, transmission performance using AHEC protocol can be obviously improved. The experimental results show that our methodology can increase the goodput significantly and the performance of AHEC protocol is 21.11% higher than the typical ARQ protocol in the case of 20% packet loss.
KeywordsSmart grid Beidou short message Resource-constraint Goodput AHEC
The research has received funding from State Key Laboratory of Smart Grid Protection and Control in China.
- 1.Luan, W., Sharp, D., Lancashire, S.: Smart grid communication network capacity planning for power utilities. In: Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition, IEEE PES, pp. 1–4 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.China Satellite Navigation Office: Satellite Networking: BeiDou Navigation Satellite System Open Service Performance Standard (Version 1.0). BDS-OS-PS-1.0 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.China Satellite Navigation Office: Report on the development of BeiDou Navigation Satellite System. Space Int. 4, 10–14 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Cheng, F.L., Zhang, Y.F., Liu, J.J.: Long message communication protocol based on the “BeiDou” satellite navigation system. Ocean Technol. (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Cho, S., Goulart, A., Akyildiz, I.F., et al.: An adaptive FEC with QoS provisioning for real-time traffic in LEO satellite networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications, pp. 2938–2942 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Dorsch, B.G.: Adaptive Forward Error Correction for Channels with Feedback (1986)Google Scholar
- 12.Gu, J.X., Wang, C.F., Song, Z.G.: Channel performance testing and analysis of BeiDou short-message communication. Meteorol. Sci. Technol. 43(3), 458–463 (2015)Google Scholar