A Time-Evolving Topology Based Obstacle Avoidance Algorithm for Multi-UAV Formation
During avoidance of obstacles, an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) team confronts with varying communication distances and intermittent visibilities among the member nodes, leading to a time-evolving communication topology. In this paper, therefore, we present a time-evolving based avoiding algorithm for a teamed Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) system in a two-dimension environment with dynamic obstacles. In one snapshot of the time-varying topology, especially, each member node computes out a convex polygon-based hull of the next-step positions set by making distributed consensus with neighbor nodes. With a centralized approach, the team determines the largest convex region by using these obtained convex hulls within a two-dimension geometric space, where each robot will locally compute the optimal parameters for its next proper position within the resulted convex region. From the simulation results, for a dynamic clutter environment, the proposed approach presents obviously less communication overheads, less time cost and scalable with the formation size.
KeywordsFormation Obstacle avoidance Time-varing topology Multi-UAV team
The authors would like to express their high appreciations to the supports from the Natural Science Foundation of Guangdong Province (2016A030313661) and Basic Research Project of Shenzhen (JCYJ20150625142543458 and JCYJ20150403161923521).
- 1.Balch, T., Hybinette, M.: Social potentials for scalable multi-robot formations. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Proceedings, ICRA, vol. 1, pp. 73–80. IEEE Xplore (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Mercado, D.A., Castro, R., Lozano, R.: Quadrotors flight formation control using a leader-follower approach. In: Control Conference, pp. 3858–3863 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.İsmail, B., Fidan, B.: Distributed cohesive motion control of flight vehicle formations. IEEE Trans. Industr. Electron. 60(12), 5763–5772 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Mirzaei, M., Gordon, B., Rabbath, C.A., et al.: Cooperative Multi-UAV search problem with communication delay. In: AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, pp. 519–524 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhou, Y., Dong, X., Zhong, Y.: Time-varying formation tracking for UAV swarm systems with switching interaction topologies. In: Control Conference, pp. 7658–7665. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Deits, R., Tedrake, R.: Computing large convex regions of obstacle-free space through semidefinite programming. In: Algorithmic Foundations of Robotics XI, pp. 109–124. Springer International Publishing, Cham (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Alonso-Mora, J., Baker, S., Rus, D.: Multi-robot navigation in formation via sequential convex programming. In: International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (2015)Google Scholar