Fast CU Size Decision of Intra Prediction for Enhancement Layers in SHVC
A fast CU depth level decision algorithm with low complexity for Scalable High Efficiency Video Coding (SHVC) is proposed to reduce the computational complexity caused by the recursive quad-tree structure of Coding Unit (CU) inherited from HEVC. The proposed scheme enables the early termination for CU sizes for intra prediction in the enhancement layer (EL) by using the property of the energy distribution in the current CTU and the optimal coding depths of the neighboring CTUs. Based on an adaptive thresholds scheme, the texture complexity can be categorized to three types and the CU depth level range is therefore narrowed correspondingly. Besides, the spatial correlation existing in the encoded neighboring CTUs is utilised to further reduce the number of Rate Distortion (RD) evaluation. The coding time is therefore significantly saved. The proposed algorithm is evaluated in the reference software of SHVC (SHM12.0). The experimental results shows that the reduction in encoding time can be up to 42.95% in comparison with the original encoding scheme in SHM.
KeywordsSHVC Enhancement layer CU sizes Adaptive thresholds Spatial correlation
- 1.Min, B., Cheung, R.C.C.: A fast CU size decision algorithm for the HEVC intra encoder. IEEE Trans. Circ. Syst. Video Technol. 25(5), 892–896 (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Zhang, T., Sun, M.T., Zhao, D., et al.: Fast intra mode and CU size decision for HEVC. IEEE Trans. Circ. Syst. Video Technol. 27, 1714–1726 (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Lu, X., Martin, G.R.: Fast mode decision algorithm for the H.264/AVC scalable video coding extension. IEEE Trans. Circ. Syst. Video Technol. 23(5), 846–855 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Bjontegaard, G.: Calculation of average PSNR differences between RD-curves. ITU SG16 Doc. VCEG-M33 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Wali, I., Kessentini, A., Ayed, M.A.B., et al.: Statistical analysis of SHVC encoded video. In: 2016 International conference on Image Processing, Applications and Systems (IPAS), pp. 1–5. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar