A Two-Handed Gesture Recognition Technique on Mobile Devices Based on Improved DTW Algorithm
The majority of traditional gesture recognition relies on cameras, easily affected by environmental noises. Moreover, most of them are one-handed gestures, whose identifying speed and accuracy are limited. Therefore, this paper proposed a two-handed gesture recognition technology based on improved dynamic time warping (DTW) algorithm and common mobile devices. The data are collected by common carry on mobile communication devices instead of wearable devices. By constructing boundary linked list, traditional DTW algorithm is optimized, so we realized two-handed gesture trajectory recognition. The results show that, under the prerequisite of guaranteeing accuracy, the method can considerably reduce the algorithm’s computation complexity, and effectively improve the speed of recognition.
KeywordsMobile device Two-handed gesture recognition Linked list of bound DTW
This work was supported in part by the National Natural Sciences Foundation of China (NSFC) under Grant 61525103, and the Shenzhen Fundamental Research Project under Grant JCYJ20150930150304185.
- 1.Mitra, S., Acharya, T.: Gesture recognition: a survey. IEEE Trans. Syst. Man Cybern. Part C Appl. Rev. 37(3), 311–324 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Ghaleb, F.F.M., Youness, E.A., Elmezain, M., et al.: Vision-based hand gesture spotting and recognition using CRF and SVM. J. Softw. Eng. Appl. 8(7), 313–323 (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Agrawal, S., Constandache, I., Gaonkar, S.: PhonePoint Pen: using mobile phones to write in air. In: ACM SIGSCOMM Workshop on Networking, pp. 1–6 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Amma, C., Georgi, M., Schultz, T.: Airwriting: a wearable handwriting recognition system. Pers. Ubiquit. Comput. 18, 191–203 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Izuta, R., Murao, K., Terada, T.: Early gesture recognition method with an accelerometer. Int. J. Pervasive Comput. Commun. 11(3), 270–287 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Bellman, R.: The theory of dynamic programming. In: The Art and Theory of Dynamic Programming, pp. 716–719. Academic Press (1952)Google Scholar
- 7.Lemire, D.: Faster retrieval with a two-pass dynamic-time-warping lower bound. Pattern Recogn. 42(9), 2169–2180 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Niennattrakul, V., Ruengronghirunya, P., Ratanamahatana, C.A.: Exact indexing for massive time series databases under time warping distance. Data Min. Knowl. Disc. 21(3), 509–541 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Ruan, X., Tian, C.: Dynamic gesture recognition based on improved DTW algorithm. In: IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 2134–2138. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar