Soil Moisture Retrieval Using UWB Echoes via ANFIS and ANN
This paper introduces a new soil moisture (SM) retrieval approach based on ultra-wideband (UWB) echoes. The approach employs two fuzzy logic systems (FLSs) -adaptive network-based fuzzy inference system (ANFIS) and type 1 fuzzy logic system (T1FLS) respectively, to extract features in soil echoes. Artificial neural network (ANN) is applied to classify with different volume water contents (VWCs). 9 types of UWB soil echoes of different texture and VWC are collected and investigated using our approach. Final analysis shows ANFIS with ANN provides a better VWC correct recognition rate (CRR) than T1FLS with ANN at high SNRs.
KeywordsSoil moisture retrieval ANFIS T1FLS ANN Ultra-wideband
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61671138), the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities Project No. ZYGX2015J021, and the Scientific Research Foundation for the Returned Overseas Chinese Scholars, State Education Ministry.
- 1.Reichle, R.H., Koster, R.D., Dong, J., Berg, A.A.: Global soil moisture from satellite observations, land surface models, and ground data: implications for data assimilation. J. Hydrometeorol. 5(3), 430–442 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Lambot, S., Slob, E.C., van den Bosch, I., Stockbroeckx, B., Vanclooster, M.: Modeling of ground-penetrating radar for accurate characterization of subsurface electric properties. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens. 42(11), 2555–2568 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Dawson, M.S., Fung, A.K., Manry, M.T.: A robust statistical-based estimator for soil moisture retrieval from radar measurements. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens. 35(1), 57–67 (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Pasolli, L., Notarnicola, C., Bruzzone, L.: Estimating soil moisture with the support vector regression technique. IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett. 8(6), 1080–1084 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhu, F., Liu, H., Liang, J.: Soil moisture retrieval using fuzzy logic based on UWB signals. In: 2015 International Conference on Wireless Communications & Signal Processing (WCSP), pp. 1–5. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Mendel, J.M.: Uncertain Rule-Based Fuzzy Logic Systems: Introduction and New Directions. Prentice Hall PTR, Upper Saddle River (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Jang, J.S.: ANFIS: adaptive-network-based fuzzy inference system. IEEE Trans. Syst. Man Cybern. 23(3), 665–685 (1993)Google Scholar