Protein Features Identification for Machine Learning-Based Prediction of Protein-Protein Interactions
The long awaited challenge of post-genomic era and systems biology research is computational prediction of protein-protein interactions (PPIs) that ultimately lead to protein functions prediction. The important research questions is how protein complexes with known sequence and structure be used to identify and classify protein binding sites, and how to infer knowledge from these classification such as predicting PPIs of proteins with unknown sequence and structure. Several machine learning techniques have been applied for the prediction of PPIs, but the accuracy of their prediction wholly depends on the number of features being used for training. In this paper, we have performed a survey of protein features used for the prediction of PPIs. The open research challenges and opportunities in the area have also been discussed.
KeywordsProtein-protein interactions Machine learning Supervised learning Feature selection Protein features
This work is financially supported by Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, India under innovative research activities.
- Browne, F., Wang, H., Zheng, H., Azuaje, F.: An assessment of machine and statistical learning approaches to inferring networks of protein-protein interactions. J. Integr. Bioinform. 3, 230–246 (2006)Google Scholar
- Dong, Q., Wang, X., Lin, L., Guan, Y.: Exploiting residue-level and profile-level interface propensities for usage in binding sites prediction of proteins. BMC Bioinformatics 8, 147 (2007)Google Scholar
- Jansen, R., Yu, H., Greenbaum, D., Kluger, Y., Krogan, N.J., Chung, S., Emili, A., Snyder, M., Greenblatt, J.F., Gerstein, M.: A Bayesian networks approach for predicting protein-protein interactions from genomic data. Science 302(5644), 449–453 (2003). doi: 10.1126/science.1087361 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lin, D.: An information-theoretic definition of similarity. In: ICML, vol. 98, no. 1998, pp. 296–304 (1998)Google Scholar
- Rao, V., Srinivas, K., Sujini, G.N., Sunand, G.N.: Protein-protein interaction detection: methods and analysis. J. Proteomics 12, e0173163 (2014)Google Scholar
- You, Z., Ming, Z., Niu, B., Deng, S., Zhu, Z.: A SVM-based system for predicting protein-protein interactions using a novel representation of protein sequences. In: Huang, D.S., Bevilacqua, V., Figueroa, J.C., Premaratne, P. (eds.) ICIC 2013. LNCS, vol. 7995, pp. 629–637. Springer, Heidelberg (2013). doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-39479-9_73 CrossRefGoogle Scholar