Software System Rejuvenation Modeling Based on Sequential Inspection Periods and State Multi-control Limits
This paper addresses the issue of software rejuvenation modeling. Rejuvenation strategies with sequential inspection periods and state multi-control limits are proposed here because the inspection-based approach involves the sampling of longer fixed periods of the state of system, which increases the probability of soft failure. The degradation process of the software system interferes with inspection and rejuvenation is modeled as a Markov chain. The steady-state probability density function of the system is thus derived, and a numerical solution of the function is provided. Expressions for mean unavailability time are derived during the inspection period when soft failure occurs. Finally, the steady-state availability of the system is modeled, and the solution to it is obtained using a genetic algorithm. The effectiveness of the model was verified by numerical experiments. Compared with rejuvenation strategies with fixed inspection periods, those with sequential inspection periods yielded greater steady-state availability of the software system.
This research was supported in part by the Chinese National Natural Science Foundation under Grant No. 61573250, the Key Research and Development Program of Shanxi Province under Grant No. 201703D121042-1, the Key Science and Technology Program of Shanxi Province under Grant No. 20130321006-01, the Youth Foundation of Shanxi Province under Grant No. 201601D021065 and the PhD Research Startup Foundation of TYUST under Grant No. 20152021.
- 2.Sullivan, M., Chillarege, R.: Software defects and their impact on system availability-a study of field failures in operating systems. In: Proceedings of the Twenty-First International Symposium on Fault-Tolerant Computing, FTCS-21 (1991)Google Scholar
- 3.Huang, Y., Kintala, C., Kolettis, N., Fulton, N.D.: Software rejuvenation: analysis, module and applications. In: Proceedings of 25 International Symposium, Fault-Tolerant Computing, FTCS-25 (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Cassidy, K.J., Gross, K.C., Malekpour, A.: Advanced pattern recognition for detection of complex software aging phenomena in online transaction processing servers. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, DSN 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Grottke, M., Li, L., Vaidyanathan, K., Trivedi, K.S.: Analysis of software aging in a web server. Discuss. Pap. 55(3), 411–420 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Matias, R., Andrzejak, A., Machida, F., Elias, D.: A systematic differential analysis for fast and robust detection of software aging. In: 2014 IEEE 33rd International Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Araujo, J., Matos, R., Alves, V., et al.: Software aging in the eucalyptus cloud computing infrastructure: characterization and rejuvenation. ACM J. Emerg. Technol. Comput. Syst. 636(8), 1557–1564 (2014)Google Scholar
- 15.Zhao, T.H., Yong, Q.I., Shen, J.Y., et al.: Application server multi-state aging model and optimal rejuvenation strategy research. J. Syst. Simul. 19(8), 1705–1709 (2007)Google Scholar
- 19.Garg, S., Van Moorsel, A., Vaidyanathan, K., et al.: A methodology for detection and estimation of software aging. In: Proceedings of Ninth International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (1998)Google Scholar
- 20.Jia, Y.F., et al.: On the relationship between software aging and related parameters. In: International Conference on Quality Software (2008)Google Scholar
- 21.Avritzer, A., Bondi, A., Grottke, M., et al.: Performance assurance via software rejuvenation: monitoring, statistics and algorithms. In: International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, DSN 2006 (2006)Google Scholar
- 24.Zhao, T.H., et al.: Application server rejuvenation policy research based on aging accumulative damage model. J. Syst. Simul. 18, 226–229 (2006)Google Scholar
- 25.Zhang, J.H., et al.: Approach of virtual machine failure recovery based on hidden Markov model. J. Softw. 25(11), 2702–2714 (2014)Google Scholar