The Active Ageing Index in a Southern European Region (Biscay): Main Results and Potentials for Policymaking
This chapter presents the experience of the calculation of the Active Ageing Index (AAI) at the subnational level in Southern Europe and discusses its role as a useful tool to support political decision-making. The index for Biscay was calculated for the period 2012–2014, following the internationally agreed methodology, but at the same time it took into account the specificities of the region and the availability of data sources. It was based on secondary data, as well as on primary data as a result of a specific survey among people 55 years and older. The Biscay’s experience shows that the AAI can be a good tool for monitoring active ageing and it could be well used as an advisory tool for policymaking at the regional level in the EU.
- Bianchi-Pernasilici, G., & González-Rábago, Y. (2016). El cuidado de personas en la familia. In M. Legarreta (Ed.), Dos décadas de cambio social en la CAE a través del uso del tiempo: Encuesta de Presupuesto de Tiempo 1993–2013. Vitoria-Gasteiz: Eustat-Instituto Vasco de Estadística.Google Scholar
- Delgado Criado, B. (1994). Historia de la Educación en España y América. Vol. 3: La educación en la España Contemporánea. Madrid: Morata.Google Scholar
- Eustat. (2014). Basque industry overview 2014 [Online]. Retrieved October 19, 2015 in Spanish from http://www.eustat.es/elementos/ele0011300/ti_Panorama_de_la_Industria_Vasca_2014/inf0011343_c.pdf
- Moreno, L. (2014). Spain’s transition to new welfare: A farewell to superwomen. In P. Taylor-Gooby (Ed.), New risks, new welfare: The transformation of the European welfare. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Valencia, J. F., Cohen, E. H., & Hermosilla, D. (2010). Social trust and political protest. The mediating role of the value of Power Distance. Psicologia Política, 40, 61–80.Google Scholar
- Zaidi, A., Gasior, K., Hofmarcher, M. M., Lelkes, O., Marin, B., Rodrigues, R., Schmidt, A., Vanhuysse, P., & Zolyomi, E. (2013, March). Active Ageing Index 2012. Concept, methodology, and final results. Research Memorandum/Methodology Report. European Centre Vienna. Retrieved from www.euro.centre.org/data/aai/1253897823_70974.pdf