Ageing in a Multicultural Europe: Perspectives and Challenges
Ageing is the key demographic trend in Europe. Migration is the second major phenomenon shaping European population structure, introducing a further dimension to the ageing challenge, namely, ageing populations with diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Nonetheless, the phenomenon of ageing migrants is surprisingly understudied.
The chapter proposes a modified version of the Active Ageing Index (AAI) for the migrant population using data from the first wave (2004/2005) of the Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe (SHARE) in seven European countries. It aims at both verifying whether the AAI is a good index for a population with a migratory background and stimulating the political and academic debate on the necessity to address vulnerabilities and active ageing of older migrants within the framework of an inclusive multicultural Europe committed to social justice.
This chapter uses data from SHARE Waves 1 (DOIs: 10.6103/SHARE.w1.260). The SHARE data collection has been primarily funded by the European Commission through the FP5 (QLK6-CT-2001-00360), FP6 (SHARE-I3: RII-CT-2006-062193, COMPARE: CIT5-CT-2005-028857, SHARELIFE: CIT4-CT-2006-028812) and FP7 (SHARE-PREP: N°211909, SHARE-LEAP: N°227822, SHARE M4: N°261982). Additional funding from the German Ministry of Education and Research, the U.S. National Institute on Aging (U01_AG09740-13S2, P01_AG005842, P01_AG08291, P30_AG12815, R21_AG025169, Y1-AG-4553-01, IAG_BSR06-11, OGHA_04-064) and from various national funding sources is gratefully acknowledged (see www.share-project.org).
- Baldassar, L., & Merla, L. (Eds.). (2013). Transnational families, migration and the circulation of care. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Cela, E., & Fokkema, T. (2016). How to cope with loneliness in a foreign country? A qualitative study among Albanian and Moroccan older migrants in Italy. Ageing & Society. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X16000209.
- Darmon, N., & Khlat, M. (2001). An overview of the health status of migrants in France, in relation to their dietary practices. Public Health Nutrition, 4(2), 163–172.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2014). Population ageing in Europe. Facts, implications and policies [Online]. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/research/social-sciences/pdf/policy_reviews/kina26426enc.pdf
- Fokkema, T., Cela, E., & Witter, Y. (2016). Pendular migration of the older first generations in Europe: Misconceptions and nuances. In C. Schweppe & V. Horn (Eds.), Transnational aging: Current insights and future challenges (pp. 141–162). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Groenendijk, K. (2008). Local voting rights for non nationals in Europe: What we know and what we need to learn [Online]. Washington, DC: Migration Policy Institute. Retrieved from http://www.migrationpolicy.org/research/local-voting-rights-non-nationals-europe-what-we-know-and-what-we-need-learn
- Schenker, M. (2011). Migration and occupational health: Understanding the risks [Online]. Migration Information Source. Retrieved from http://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/migration-and-occupational-health-understanding-risks
- United Nations. (2013). The number of international migrants worldwide reaches 232 million. Population Facts No. 2013/2 [Online]. Retrieved from http://esa.un.org/unmigration/documents/the_number_of_international_migrants.pdf.
- United Nations. (2015). The 2015 revision, key findings and advance tables. Working Paper No. ESA/P/WP.241 [Online]. Retrieved from http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/publications/files/key_findings_wpp_2015.pdf
- Zaidi, A., Gasior, K., Hofmarcher, M. M., Lelkes, O., Marin, B., Rodrigues, R., Schmidt, A., Vanhuysse, P., & Zolyomi, E. (2013). Active Ageing Index 2012: Concept, methodology and final results. EC/UNECE, Active Ageing Index Project, UNECE Grant ECE/GC/2012/003. Vienna: European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research. Retrieved from http://www.euro.centre.org/data/aai/1253897823_70974.pdf