Calling Homopolymer Stretches from Raw Nanopore Reads by Analyzing k-mer Dwell Times
Oxford Nanopore Technologies’ (ONT) MinION device is capable of reading single molecule DNA strands tens of thousands of bases long, by passing a strand through a nanopore and recording the changes in electric current. The error rate of the platform is higher than most mature next-generation sequencing (NGS) platforms, with many of the deletions accumulating in stretches of identical bases (homopolymers). However, the mean time each 5-base long subsequence (k-mer) of the molecule spends inside of the pore (dwell time) can also be used to infer the length of the true sequence. We developed a method called NanoTimer, which estimates the homopolymer length from the dwell times. It relies on the redundancy of having multiple reads covering a reference sequence, and the depth of coverage determines its accuracy.
KeywordsNanopore Sequencing Homopolymer Indel Dwell time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1. Mikheyev AS, Tin MM (2014) A first look at the Oxford Nanopore MinION sequencer. Mol Ecol Resour 14(6): p. 1097-102. DOI 10.1111/1755-0998.12324
- 2. Cherf GM, Lieberman KR, Rashid H, Lam CE, Karplus K, Akeson M (2012) Automated Forward and Reverse Ratcheting of DNA in a Nanopore at Five Angstrom Precision. Nat Biotechnol 2012 Apr; 30(4): 344-348 DOI 10.1038/nbt.2147
- 3. Boza V, Brejova H, (2016) DeepNano: Deep Recurrent Neural Networks for Base Calling in MinION Nanopore Reads. arXiv, DOI arXiv:1603.09195
- 4. Brown C: Inside the skunkworx. In: London Calling. Oxford Nanopore Technologies. 2016. https://londoncallingconf.co.uk/lc/2016-plenary#168687629
- 5. Qiao W, et al. (2016) Long-Read Single Molecule Real-Time Full Gene Sequencing of Cytochrome P450-2D6. Hum Mutat. 2016;37:315–23. DOI 10.1002/humu.22936
- 6. Loman N. J., Quick J., Simpson J.T. (2015) A complete bacterial genome assembled de novo using only nanopore sequencing data. Nat Methods. 2015;12:733–5. DOI 10.1038/nmeth.3444
- 7. Stoiber M, Brown J. B. et al (2016) De novo Identification of DNA Modifications Enabled by Genome-Guided Nanopore Signal Processing. Biorxiv DOI 10.1101/094672
- 8. NA12878 Human Reference on Oxford Nanopore MinION at https://github.com/nanopore-wgs-consortium/NA12878
- 9. Zook JM et al, (2014) Integrating human sequence data sets provides a resource of benchmark SNP and indel genotype calls. Nature Biotechnology 32, 246-251. DOI 10.1038/nbt.2835
- 10. GRCh38 reference genome ftp://ftp-trace.ncbi.nih.gov/1000genomes/ftp/technical/reference/GRCh38_reference_genome/Google Scholar
- 11. Li, H. (2013) Aligning sequence reads, clone sequences and assembly contigs with BWA-MEM. arXiv:1303.3997v1
- 12. Robinson JT, Thorvaldsdóttir H, Winckler W, Guttman M, Lander ES, Getz G, Mesirov JP (2011) Integrative Genomics Viewer. Nature Biotechnology 29, 24–26. DOI 10.1038/nbt.1754.
- 13. Ammar, R, Paton, T.A., Torti, D., Shlien, A. (2015) Long read nanopore sequencing for detection of HLA and CYP2D6 variants and haplotypes. F1000Research DOI: 10.12688/f1000research.6037.1