The Impact of Demographic Changes on Macroeconomic and Public Finance
The greatest threat to Japan’s economy stems from population decline and the resulting fiscal consolidation. (Fiscal consolidation is a policy aimed at reducing government deficits and debt accumulation.) The fear of a worst-case scenario of a collapse in government bonds is real unless domestic labor productivity is raised and fiscal and social security reforms are addressed.
- Bank of Japan. (2016, December 19). Basic Figures: Flow of Funds for the Third Quarter of 2016 (Preliminary report, Research and Statistics Department). https://www.boj.or.jp/en/statistics/sj/sjexp.pdf, accessed on February 13, 2017.
- Braun, R. Anton & Joines, Douglas. (2014). The Implications of a Graying Japan on Government Policy (mimeo, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta). http://www.frbsf.org/economic-research/files/5Braun-Joines.pdf, accesses on February 13, 2017.
- Cabinet Office, Government of Japan. (2010, December 14). Promotion of Social Security Reform (summary of Cabinet Decision). http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/bangoseido/pdf/english/dec142010.pdf, accessed on September 25, 2016.
- Cabinet Office, Government of Japan. (2014, November). Choice for the Future: Creating a Growth and Development Model Made in Japan Transcending Rapid Depopulation and Super Aged Society (white paper, Council on Economic and Fiscal Policy, Expert Panel, Committee for Japan’s Future). http://www5.cao.go.jp/keizai-shimon/kaigi/special/future/houkoku/01_e.pdf, accessed on September 25, 2016.
- Cabinet Office, Government of Japan. (2015). Annual Report on the Aging Society: 2015 (white paper). http://www8.cao.go.jp/kourei/english/annualreport/2015/2015pdf_e.html, accessed on September 25, 2016.
- Fukao, Kyoji. (2010). Two Lost Decades and Japanese Economy (Ushinawareta 20nen to nippon no keizai). Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry, Research Digest no. 3, 23–28. http://www.rieti.go.jp/en/publications/rd/003.html, accessed on September 25, 2016.
- Hansen, Gary D. & Imrohoroglu, S. (2016). Fiscal Reform and Government Debt in Japan: A Neoclassical Perspective. Review of Economic Dynamics 21. doi:10.1016/j.red.2015.04.001, accessed on February 14, 2017.
- Ikegami, Naoki. (2006). Should Providers be allowed to Extra Bill for Uncovered Services? Debate, Resolution, and Sequel in Japan. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Laws, 31(6), 1129–1149. http://jhppl.dukejournals.org/content/31/6/1129.abstract, accessed on September 25, 2016.
- IPSS. (2013, October). Financial Statistics of Social Security in Japan 2013 (Shakai hosho hiyo tokei). http://www.ipss.go.jp/ss-cost/j/fsss-h25/H25.pdf, accessed on September 25, 2016 (in Japanese).
- Kawaguchi, Hiroyuki. (2012). Unique mixtures of public and private funding in Japan: The ban on billing for mixed medical care service. MOF Public Policy Review, 8(2), 145–170. https://www.mof.go.jp/english/pri/publication/pp_review/ppr016/ppr016b.pdf, accessed on February 2, 2017.
- Kawamura, Sayuri. (2011). The outlook for future government bond issuance and fiscal management in Japan (Wagakunino kokusai hakko to zaiseiun-ei no sakiyuki), Business & Economic Review, December 25, 2011, https://www.jri.co.jp/page.jsp?id=20474 accessed on February 14, 2017 (in Japanese).
- Keidanren. (2012, April 16). Global Japan: 2050 Simulation and Comprehensive Strategy (21st Century Public Policy Institute). http://www.21ppi.org/english/pdf/120827.pdf, accessed on October 2, 2016.
- MOF. (2015, February). Provisional calculations for the cash flow situation in the Government Bond Consolidation Fund (data table). http://www.mof.go.jp/budget/topics/outlook/sy2702b.htm, accessed on October 6, 2016 (in Japanese).
- Nikkei. (2014, November 14). Negative 0.1 growth if no actions taken—report from the Committee for Japan’s Future (Jinkogen hochi nara mainasu 0.1% seichouni seifui houkoku). Nikkei Shimbun. http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLASFS14H2G_U4A111C1PP8000/, accessed on October 5, 2016 (in Japanese).
- Oguro, Kazumasa. (2014, April 7). Inaccurate economic target and unrealistic growth prediction (Seichono minamoto wa machigatta keizai mokuhyo). Nikkei Business Online. http://business.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/topics/20140403/262300/?P=1, accessed on September 25, 2016 (in Japanese).
- Oguro, Kazumasa. (2015, December 14). Cost analysis: relationship between medical expenses and actual diseases (Iryohi no jiko futan wo shippeibetsuni). (Canon Institute for Global Studies). http://www.canon-igs.org/column/macroeconomics/20151214_3403.html, accessed on September 25, 2016 (in Japanese).
- Oguro, Kazumasa. & Satoshi Shimasawa. (2011). An Introduction to Macro-Economic Modeling Using MathLab (MathLab ni yoru makuro keizai moderu nyumon). Tokyo: Nippon Hyoron sha Co., Ltd.Google Scholar
- Prime Minister of Japan and His Cabinet. (2014, November 18). Opening statement by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (Abe naikaku sori daijin kishakaiken). http://japan.kantei.go.jp/96_abe/statement/201411/1118kaiken.html, accessed on September 25, 2016.
- Takahashi, Masahiko. (2012, May). The History and the Basic Issues of the Deposit Insurance System (Yokinhokenseido no rekishi to kihontekikadai), Deposit Insurance Research, May issue, https://www.dic.go.jp/katsudo/chosa/yohokenkyu/201205-14/14-1.html, accessed on September 25, 2016 (in Japanese).