Overdistended uterus is an important cause of obstetric complications. There is overdistension of the uterus in multiple pregnancy, foetal macrosomia, hydramnios and pregnancy with uterine fibroids. USG in labour room is an essential diagnostic modality to differentiate between these conditions as well as placental localisation as placenta praevia may be associated with multiple pregnancy and fibroid. Complications of overdistension are preterm labour and preterm premature rupture of membrane with all their adverse outcomes of prematurity and high incidence of cord prolapse. The most common postpartum complication of overdistended uterus is atonic postpartum haemorrhage. Preparedness like available crossmatched blood, delivering in tertiary centre and good neonatal care units are some of prerequisites for this dangerous postpartum complication for saving lives of mother and baby.
- 1.Ioannou C, Papageorghiou A. Polyhydramnios. In: Arulkumaran S, Regan L, Papageorghiou AT, Monga A, Farquaharson DIM, editors. Oxford desk reference: obstetrics & gynaecology. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2011. p. 164–5.Google Scholar
- 2.Beall MH, Belooseky R, Ross MG. Abnormalities of amniotic fluid volume. In: James D, Steer PJ, Weiner CP, Gonik B, Crowther C, Robson S, editors. High risk pregnancy: management options. 4th ed. St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier; 2011. p. 203–5.Google Scholar
- 9.Thilaganathan B. Multiple pregnancy. In: Arulkumaran S, Papageorghiou AT, Monga A, Farquharson DIM, editors. Oxford desk reference: obstetrics & gynaecology. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2011. p. 158–9.Google Scholar
- 10.American College of Obstetrician and Gynaecologists. Shoulder dystocia. ACOG practice bulletin clinical management guidelines for obstetrician-gynacologists. No. 40. Obstet Gynaecol. 2002;100:1045–50.Google Scholar
- 11.Royal College of Obsterician & Gynaecologists (RCOG). Shoulder dystocia guideline no. 42. Green top guidelines. London: RCOG; 2005.Google Scholar
- 19.Phelan JP. Myomas and pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol Clin N Am. 1995;22:801–5.Google Scholar