Disciplining High-School Students and Molding Their Subjectivity in South Korea: A Shift in Disciplinary Paradigm
Responding to mass deaths of high school students during the Seweolho disaster (April 16th, 2014), this article examines to what extent and how high-school students are disciplined to be submissive and compliant. It discusses daily lives of students on the ground at Danwon High School to illustrate how the imperative to enter college overwhelms daily lives at a “general high school.” It proceeds to analyze how a majority of high-school students are disciplined through “school rules” and the “regulation of students’ life.” It contends that there is an ongoing shift in the major disciplinary paradigm from the authoritarian and militaristic model to the psychological counseling model and assesses the implications of this transformation for the normative subjectivity of young people being molded.
- Althusser, L. (1971). Lenin and philosophy and other essays (B. Brewster, Trans.). New York: Monthly Review Press.Google Scholar
- Association of Parents for Genuine Education (참교육학부모회). (2011). Students’ human rights seen through the reformed school rules (고등학교 개정학칙으로 본 학생인권), July 25. http://hakbumo.or.kr/bbs/view.php?id=ul_in&page=3&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&des=asc&no=400 (Accessed on September 10, 2015).
- Ch’ŏn, S.-Y., et al. (2013). A study of how to make the subject-based classroom system effective: a focus on administering the curricula, class, and the guidance for students’ lives in the general high school (교과교실제 운영 효율화 방안: 일반계 고등학교의 교육과정 운영 및 수업, 생활지도를 중심으로). CR 2013-38. A study sponsored by the 2013 Educational Policy Network. Seoul: Korean Educational Development Institute.Google Scholar
- Chŏng, Y.-J., & Pak, H.-J. (2011). Students’ human rights still far way, the school rules that suppress autonomy (아직도 먼 학생인권 (하) 자율억압하는 학칙). Kyŏnghyang Newspaper (경향신문), March 7.Google Scholar
- Cookson, Jr., Peter, W. & Caroline H. Persell. (1985). English and American residential secondary schools: a comparative study of the reproduction of social elites. Comparative Education Review 29(3): 283–298.Google Scholar
- Daejeon Metropolitan Office of Education. (2011). A consultation report on 2012 high-school curricula: a pursuit of school diversification and autonomy for managing school curricular (2012 년 고등학교 교육과정 컨설팅 보고서: 학교의 다양화, 교육과정 운영의 자율성 추구). Daejeon City, South Korea: Office of Education.Google Scholar
- Deresiewicz, W. (2014). Excellent Sheep: The miseducation of the American elite and the way to a meaningful life. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Deslandes, R. Paul. (2005). Oxbridge Men: British Masculinity and the Undergraduate Experience, 1850–1920. Bloomington and Indianapolis: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Elias, N. (2000). The civilizing process: Sociogenetic and psychogenetic investigations (revised ed.). Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Foucault, M. (1979). Discipline and punish: The Birth of the prison. New York: Pantheon Books.Google Scholar
- Han, T.-D. (2000). School discipline and schooling effect (학교훈육과 학교효과). Journal of Educational Research (교육연구), 10, 43–58.Google Scholar
- Han, S.-J. (2014). Students of Tanwŏn High School, feeling guilty about even laughing (단원고 학생들, 웃는 것에 죄책감 느껴). SBS, April 28. http://www.mediagaon.or.kr/jsp/sch/common/popup/newsviewpopup.jsp?newsId=08100301.20140428100000113&print=Y&highlight= (Accessed on November 17, 2015).
- Hong, W.-P., et al. (2013). A study of validity and flexibility of the curricular of the general high school to realize education for happiness (행복교육 실현을 위한 일반고등학교 교육과정 적합성 및 유연성 제고 방안). Publication registration no. 11-1342000-000037-01. Seoul: The Ministry of Education.Google Scholar
- Hwang, C.-S., et al. (2013). An analysis of the outcome of the high school diversification policy and a plan to improve it (고교다양화 정책의 성과분석 및 개선방안 연구). Research Report 2013-05. Seoul: Korea Educational Development Institute.Google Scholar
- Kalton, G. (1966). The Public Schools: A Factual Survey. London: Longman.Google Scholar
- Ko, Y.-J. (2014). The difference in student’s self-determined motivation for study related to their trust in teachers based on their perception of teachers’ disciplinary types (고등학생이 지각한 사훈육유형에 따른 교사신뢰와 자기결정성 학습동기의 차이). Master’s Thesis. Graduate School of Education, Pusan National University.Google Scholar
- Korean Federation of Teachers’ Associations (KFTA). (2012). Report material in the KFTA News (교총소식), “The Federation, firm refusal to the forceful implementation of Seoul students’ human rights ordinance, beginning the movement to oppose the school rules reform” (교총, 서울학생인권조례 강행 단호히 거부, 학칙개정 반대운동 시작), January 31, 2012. http://kfta.or.kr/news/view.asp?bName=news&page=64&search=&search_field=&search_value=&s_div=1&num=4750 (Accessed on September 07, 2015).
- Ku, C.-Ŏ., et al. (2008). High school education in the world (세계의 고등학교 교육). Korea Education Forum World Education Series 1. Seoul: Sinjŏng.Google Scholar
- Kwak, N.-H. (2010). The prohibition of corporeal punishment being settled better than expected (곽노현, ‘체벌금지 예상보다 잘 안착’), November 16. http://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPagePrintPopup.do?news_id=N1000815321 (Accessed on September 07, 2015).
- Kyŏnggi Provincial Office of Education. (2015). 2015 Basic plan for live human rights education: making of a students-centered educational community culture (2015 생활인권교육 기본계획: 학생중심의 교육공동체문화 형성). Enhancement of education material 2015-2 (장학자료 2015-2호). Suwon City: Kyŏnggi Provincial Office of Education.Google Scholar
- Kyŏnghyang Newspaper. (2010). The entire text of the proposal for Kyŏnggi Province students’ human rights ordinance (경기도 학생인권조례안 전문)’. http://news.khan.co.kr/kh_news/art_print.html?artid=201009171559471 (Accessed on September 10, 2015).
- Moon, S. (1997). Begetting the Nation: The Androcentric Discourse of National History and Tradition in South Korea. In E. Kim & C. Choi (Eds.), Dangerous women: Gender and Korean Nationalism (pp. 33–66). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Mun, S.-J. (2015). A year after Sewŏlho disaster healing beyond conflict—Interview with Un-ji Kim, school doctor at Tanwŏn High School: day by day, kids are doing their best (세월호 1년 갈등을 넘어 치유로—인터뷰 단원고 스쿨닥터 김은지씨: 아이들 하루하루 최선을 다해요). Kungmin Daily (국민일보). April 15.Google Scholar
- National Labor Union of Educational Employees (NLUEE). (2012a). A plaza of school reform: Hungdok High School (학교혁신 한마당: 흥덕 고등학교). In Proceedings of the 11th National Conference for Practicing Genuine Education (January 11–13, 2012). Seoul: National Labor Union of Educational Employees.Google Scholar
- National Labor Union of Educational Employees (NLUEE). (2012b). A plaza of school reform: Iu High School (학교혁신 한마당: 이우 고등학교). In Proceedings of the 11th National Conference for Practicing Genuine Education (January 11–13, 2012). Seoul: National Labor Union of Educational Employees.Google Scholar
- Pak, C.-K. (2006). Autonomous regulation of school life through students’ participation (자율적인 학교생활 규정은 학생의 참여로), May 13. http://anseongnews.com/bbs/print.asp?group_name=316§ion=1&category=10&idx_num=6799 (Accessed on September 08, 2015).
- Ramirez, F. O., & Boli, J. (1987). The political construction of Mass schoolings: European origins and worldwide institutionalization. Sociology of Education, 60:1(January), 2–17.Google Scholar
- Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education. (2014). A comprehensive study of the making and administering of the high-school curricular in the special city of Seoul (서울특별시 고등학교 교육과정 편성, 운영지침 총론). Seoul: Metropolitan Office of Education.Google Scholar
- Sim, H., Yi, P.-H., & Sŏ, T.-G. (2015). An analysis of factors affecting school maladjustment among high-school students in order to administer the academic suspension reconsideration system: Focusing on the relationships with teachers and school rules (학업중단숙려제 운영을 위한 고둥학생 학교부적응 행동요인 분석: 교사 및 교칙관계를 중심으로). Educational Culture Studies (교육문화연구), 21(22), 57–78.Google Scholar
- Song, C.-H. (2014a). It is O.K. to say that it is not O.K. (괜찮지 않다고 말해도 괜찮아). SisaIN (시사인). April 28. http://www.mediagaon.or.kr/jsp/sch/common/popup/newsviewpopup.jsp?newsId=06100252.20140428100000039&print=Y&highlight= (Accessed on November 17, 2015).
- Song, C.-H. (2014b). Can we return to the time before Sewŏlho disaster? (세월호 이전으로 돌아갈 수 있을까?). SisaIN (시사인). July 4. http://www.mediagaon.or.kr/jsp/sch/common/popup/newsviewpopup.jsp?newsId=06100252.20140704100000002&print=Y&highlight= (Accessed on November 17, 2015).
- South Kyŏngsang Provincial Office of Education. (2013). ‘The standard program for various regulations to guide students’ lives (학생 생활지도 제규정 표준안)’. 경남교육 2013-099. Ch’angwŏn City: South Kyŏngsang Provincial Office of Education.Google Scholar
- Yi, C.-Y. (2003). Guidance for students’ lives in primary, junior high, and high schools, ‘students’-centered’ change (초중고 학생생활지도 ‘학생중심’ 전환), Korea Economy (한국경제), February 12. http://www.hankyung.com/news/app/newsview.php?type=2&aid=2003021275368&nid=910&sid=010620 (Accessed on September 08, 2015).
- Yi, T.-Y. (2010). Remember me, revelation for children who were excluded from Sewolho (리멤버 미: 세월호에서 배재된 아이들을 위한 묵시론). Yonhap News (연합뉴스).Google Scholar
- Yi, C.-H. (2014). Ansan Hospital at Korea University, surviving student of Tanwŏn High School, again aggravation of the post-traumatic stress disorder (고대안산병원, 단원고 생존학생, 외상후스트레스 재악화). Money Today (머니투데이). December 9. http://news.mt.co.kr/newsPrint.html?no=2014120909325646847&type=1&gubn=undefined (Accessed on November 17, 2015).