Breadth and Depth of Learning Analytics
- 1.7k Downloads
This paper presents a learning analytics system that has been extended to address multiple domains (writing and coding) for a breadthwise expansion. The system has also been infused with analytics solutions targeting competence, grade prediction and regulation traits, thus offering deeper insights. Our experiences in extending the breadth and depth of the analytics system have been discussed. The discussion includes elaboration on two types of sensors to track the writing and the coding experiences of students. The design of a dashboard for teachers to monitor the performance of their classrooms and advocate regulation activities is also included. The discussions lean more on the side of teachers, parents, and administrators, than on the side of students.
Keywordslearning analytics coding writing sensors dashboard teacher grade prediction rubrics competences regulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aljohani, N. R., & Davis, H. C. (2012). Significance of learning analytics in enhancing the mobile and pervasive learning environments. In 2012 6th International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies (NGMAST) (pp. 70-74).Google Scholar
- 2.Cheng, H. C., & Liao, W. W. (2012). Establishing a lifelong learning environment using IOT and learning analytics. In 2012 14th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT). Google Scholar
- 3.Del Blanco, Á., Serrano, Á., Freire, M., Martínez-Ortiz, I., & Fernández-Manjón, B. (2013). E-Learning standards and learning analytics. Can data collection be improved by using standard data models? In IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON).Google Scholar
- 4.Kumar, V., Boulanger, D., Seanosky, J., Kinshuk, Panneerselvam, K., & Somasundaram, T. S. (2014). Competence analytics. Journal of Computers in Education, 1(4), 251–270.Google Scholar
- 5.Nandigam, D., Tirumala, S. S., & Baghaei, N. (2014). Personalized learning: Current status and potential. In IEEE Conference on e-Learning, e-Management and e-Services (IC3e). Google Scholar
- 6.Ozturk, H. T., Deryakulu, D., Ozcinar, H., & Atal, D. (2014). Advancing learning analytics in online learning environments through the method of sequential analysis. In 2014 International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems (ICMCS) (pp. 512-516).Google Scholar
- 7.Seanosky, J., Jacques, D., & Kumar, V. (2016). Security and Privacy in Bigdata Learning Analytics. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Big Data and Cloud Computing Challenges (ISBCC–16’) (pp. 43-55). Springer International Publishing.Google Scholar