PreSTo Wing Module Optimization for the Double Trapezoidal Wing
This paper explains the Aircraft Preliminary Sizing Tool (PreSTo) developed at the Hamburg University of Applied Sciences. From the different modules of PreSTo, PreSTo wing, and its sweep angle have been taken as the key feature to explain further. In order to figure out the necessary values for the double trapezoidal wing a loop has been created between the kink chord, inner taper ratio, inboard leading edge sweep angle, and inboard 25 % chord sweep angle. By the end of the loop all the major chords, sweep angles, and taper ratios are calculated and a 2D representation of the wing is given. PreSTo will interact with the user by giving suggestions and during certain parameter conflicts; it can give warning to the user concerning his previous made design choices. Values of wing parameters generated in the wing module are finally stored into PreSTo central database. OpenVSP Connect retrieves values from PreSTo central database and visualizes the aircraft and its wing in 3D with NASA’s tool Open Vehicle Sketch Pad (OpenVSP).
KeywordsWing module Optimization Trapezoidal wing Presto Open vehicle sketch pad (open VSAP)
Advanced Aircraft Analysis
Aircraft Design and Systems Group
Aircraft Preliminary Design
Chord (index: t = tip, r = root, k = kink)
- CATIA V5
Computer-Aided Three-Dimensional Interactive Application Version 5
Computer Aided Preliminary Design of Aircraft
Computerized Environment for Aircraft Synthesis and Integrated Optimization Methods
Flight Optimization System
Graphical User Interface
- HAW Hamburg
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences
Mean Aerodynamic Chord
Optimization in Preliminary Aircraft Design
Open Vehicle Sketch Pad
Preliminary Aircraft Design and Optimization Program
Aircraft Preliminary Sizing Tool
Raymer Design System
Simple Aircraft Sizing
Distance between kink chord and fuselage centerline
- 1.E. Torenbeek, Synthesis of Subsonic Airplane Design. Delft University Press, 1982.Google Scholar
- 2.D. P. Raymer, “Conceptual Design Modeling in the RDS-Professional Aircraft Design Software,” 49th AIAA Aerosp. Sci. Meet. Incl. New Horizons Forum Aerosp. Expo., pp. 1–11, 2011.Google Scholar
- 3.W. a. J. Anemaat and J. Roskam, “Advanced Aircraft Analysis,” DARcorporation, no. 785, 2014.Google Scholar
- 4.PACE, “Pacelab Aircraft Priliminary Design (APD),” 2011. [Online]. Available: https://www.pace.de/products/preliminary-design/pacelab-apd.html. [Accessed: 20-Sep-2015].
- 5.SimSAC, “CEASIOM (Computerized Environment for Aircraft Synthesis and Integrated Optimization Methods),” 2015. [Online]. Available: http://www.ceasiom.com/index.php. [Accessed: 27-Dec-2015].
- 6.M. Schmid, “CAPDA-Computer Aided Preliminary Design of Aircraft,” 2009. [Online]. Available: https://www.luftbau.tu-berlin.de/menue/forschung/abgeschlossene_projekte/visual_capda/. [Accessed: 04-Sep-2015].
- 7.Wolfgang Heinze, “PrADO—Preliminary Aircraft Design and Optimization,” 2008. [Online]. Available: https://www.tu-braunschweig.de/ifl/simulationswerkzeuge. [Accessed: 20-Dec-2015].
- 8.T. M. Lavelle and B. P. Curlett, “Graphical user interface for the NASA FLOPS aircraft performance and sizing code,” 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.NASA, “ACSYNT—Aircraft Synthesis,” 1997. [Online]. Available: https://www.nasa.gov/ames/spinoff/aircraft_design_software/#.VoSQkvkrLIU. [Accessed: 22-Dec-2015].
- 10.Dieter Scholz, “SAS-Simple Aircraft Sizing,” 2008. [Online]. Available: http://fe.profscholz.de/. [Accessed: 19-Dec-2015].
- 11.Dieter Scholz, “OPerA—Optimization in Preliminary Aircraft Design,” 2011. [Online]. Available: http://opera.profscholz.de/. [Accessed: 10-Dec-2015].
- 12.M. F. Nita, “Contributions to Aircraft Preliminary Design and Optimization,” 2013.Google Scholar
- 13.AERO, “Aircraft Design and Systems Group,” 2015. [Online]. Available: http://aero.profscholz.de/. [Accessed: 20-Dec-2015].
- 14.D. Howe, Aircraft conceptual design synthesis. Professional Engineering Publishing Limited, 2000.Google Scholar
- 15.D. P.Raymer, Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astrinautics, Inc., 1992.Google Scholar
- 16.Dieter Scholz, Aircraft Design Lecture Notes. Hamburg: HAW Hamburg, 2012.Google Scholar
- 17.Ozgrid, “Excel Training,” 2014. [Online]. Available: http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187310. [Accessed: 25-Dec-2015].
- 18.J. R. Gloudemans, “OpenVSP,” 2012. [Online]. Available: http://www.openvsp.org/.
- 19.Dieter Scholz, “OpenVSP Connect,” 2013. [Online]. Available: http://openvsp.profscholz.de/. [Accessed: 19-Dec-2015].