Tetrisation of Triangular Meshes and Its Application in Shape Blending
The As-Rigid-As-Possible (ARAP) shape deformation framework is a versatile technique for morphing, surface modelling, and mesh editing. We discuss an improvement of the ARAP framework in a few aspects: 1. Given a triangular mesh in 3D space, we introduce a method to associate a tetrahedral structure, which encodes the geometry of the original mesh. 2. We use a Lie algebra based method to interpolate local transformation, which provides better handling of rotation with large angle. 3. We propose a new error function to compile local transformations into a global piecewise linear map, which is rotation invariant and easy to minimise. We implemented a shape blender based on our algorithm and its MIT licensed source code is available online.
KeywordsShape blending Tetrahedral mesh As-rigid-as-possible deformation
This work was partially supported by the Core Research for Evolutional Science and Technology (CREST) Program titled “Mathematics for Computer Graphics” of the Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST), by KAKENHI Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B) 26800043, and by JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowships for Research Abroad.
- 1.M. Alexa, D. Cohen-Or, D. Levin, As-Rigid-As-Possible Shape Interpolation. Proc. ACM SIGGRAPH 2000, 157–164 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.S. Kaji, An N-way morphing plugin for Autodesk Maya, https://github.com/shizuo-kaji/NWayBlenderMaya
- 7.S. Kaji, G. Liu, Probe-type deformers, in Mathematical Progress in Expressive Image Synthesis II (Springer, Japan, 2015), pp. 63–77Google Scholar
- 8.S. Kaji, H. Ochiai, A concise parametrisation of affine transformation, preprint arXiv:1507.05290
- 9.L. Kavan, S. Collins, J. Žára, C. O’Sullivan, Geometric skinning with approximate dual quaternion blending. ACM Trans. Gr. 27(4), 105:1–105:23 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.K. Shoemake, Animating rotation with quaternion curves. ACM SIGGRAPH (1985), pp. 245–254Google Scholar
- 12.K. Shoemake, T. Duff, Matrix animation and polar decomposition, in Proceedings of Graphics interface ’92, ed. by K.S. Booth, A. Fournier (Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., San Francisco, 1992), pp. 258–264Google Scholar
- 13.H. Si, TetGen, a Delaunay-based quality tetrahedral mesh generator. ACM Trans. Math. Softw. 41(2), 11:1–11:36 (2015)Google Scholar
- 14.O. Sorkine, M. Alexa, As-rigid-as-possible surface modeling, in Proceedings of Eurographics SGP ’07, Eurographics Association, Aire-la-Ville, Switzerland (2007), pp. 109–116Google Scholar