The Third Dimension of Telocytes Revealed by FIB-SEM Tomography
Lately, spatial three-dimensional (3D) identity of cells and their interrelations with the environment that surrounds it represent a challenging trend with the purpose to achieve a holistic view over the functions. Combining data from different imaging of cells in the third dimension can offer insight into behavior modalities making a world of difference. This chapter outlines a breakthrough in telocyte research by volume electron microscopy with the aid of focused ion beam scanning electron microscopy (FIB-SEM). Reconstructing 3D (three-dimensional) appearance of telocytes from a set of two-dimensional (2D) images by FIB-SEM tomography allowed to extract valuable data about their volume in nanoscale dimensions such as the three-dimensional morphology of telopodes and extracellular vesicles.
KeywordsFIB SEM tomography Telocytes Telopodes Extracellular vesicles
This project was supported by a grant of the Romanian National Authority for Scientific Research, CNCS–UEFISCDI, project number 82/2012 and 194/2014.
- 2.Cantarero I, Luesma MJ, Alvarez-Dotu JM, Munoz E, Junquera C. Transmission electron microscopy as key technique for the characterization of telocytes. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther. 2015;11:410–4.Google Scholar
- 8.Popescu LM, Fertig ET, Gherghiceanu M. Reaching out: junctions between cardiac telocytes and cardiac stem cells in culture. J Cell Mol Med. 2016;20:370–80.Google Scholar
- 9.Sun X, Zheng M, Zhang M, Qian M, Zheng Y, Li M, et al. Differences in the expression of chromosome 1 genes between lung telocytes and other cells: mesenchymal stem cells, fibroblasts, alveolar type II cells, airway epithelial cells and lymphocytes. J Cell Mol Med. 2014;18:801–10.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 11.Song D, Cretoiu D, Zheng M, Qian M, Zhang M, Cretoiu SM, et al. Comparison of Chromosome 4 gene expression profile between lung telocytes and other local cell types. J Cell Mol Med. 2016;20:71–80.Google Scholar
- 12.Liu J, Cao Y, Song Y, Huang Q, Wang F, Yang W, et al. Telocytes in liver. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther. 2016;11:415–9.Google Scholar
- 22.Vannucchi MG, Bani D, Faussone-Pellegrini MS. Telocytes contribute as cell progenitors and differentiation inductors in tissue regeneration. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther. 2016;11:383–9.Google Scholar