Assessment Model of the Effectiveness of Construction and Demolition Waste Reduction Measures: A Case of Shenzhen
With the continuous development of urbanization, a large number of construction and demolition wastes (CDW) caused by the construction projects have become increasingly prominent, and CDW reduction is one of the effective means to improve the status quo. In recent years, CDW reduction has been one of research focuses in both industrial and academic areas. However, previous researches mainly pay attention to reduction measures while the effectiveness of these measures is seldom. In addition, most of the existing studies use static methods, lacking of consideration of the mutual influences between the various factors in the reduction system. Therefore, based on system dynamics theory, the paper developed a dynamic model to assess the effect of the key measures for CDW reduction. Firstly, on the basis of literature review, this paper identified 11 key measures mainly from the aspects of management, techniques and stakeholders’ motivation. Secondly, a model to evaluate the effectiveness of waste reduction measures was established via Vensim software. Finally, the real data of Shenzhen were used to conduct a case study and a scenario simulation analysis. The simulation results show that the model is valid and robust which can be used for quantitative assessment of the effectiveness of CDW reduction measures and serve as a valuable decision support tool to management departments.
KeywordsCDW Reduction Effectiveness System Dynamics
The authors wish to express our sincere gratitude to the Special Fund of the Central Finance for the Development of Local Universities (No. 000022070151) for their financial support on this research.
- 1.Li P (2007) Utilization of construction waste, vigorously develop the circular economy. DC Pract Theor 6:84–87Google Scholar
- 5.Hao JL et al (2003) Integrated construction waste reduction measures. Chongqing Environ Sci 25(11):10–12Google Scholar
- 6.Li J et al (2010) Construction site construction waste reduction measures Investigation. J Proj Manag 24(3):332–335Google Scholar
- 7.Zhu J, Li J (2011) Construction workers construction waste reduction behavior. Influencing Factors Anal Case Shenzhen City Proj Manag Technol 25(6):633–637Google Scholar
- 12.Zhou J (2010) PRD construction waste investigation and countermeasures. South China University of Technology, GuangzhouGoogle Scholar
- 14.Wang Q (1994) System dynamics (Revised Edition). Tsinghua University Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- 15.Wang J, Yuan H (2009) Construction waste management model based on system dynamics. Syst Eng Theor Pract 29(7):173–180Google Scholar
- 18.Shenzhen Urban Statistic Bureau. http://www.sztj.gov.cn/
- 19.Shenzhen Urban Planning and Land Resources Committee http://www.sz.gov.cn/