An Improved Adaptive Hexagon and Small Diamond Search
Motion estimation have a significant impact in H.265 video coding systems because it occupies a large amount of time in encoding. So the quality of motion search algorithm affect the entire encoding efficiency directly. In this paper, a novel search algorithm which utilizes an adaptive hexagon and small diamond search is proposed to overcome the drawbacks of the traditional block matching algorithm implemented in the most current video coding standards. The adaptive search pattern is chosen according to the motion strength of the current block. When the block is in active motion, the hexagon search provides an efficient search means; when the block is inactive, the small diamond search is adopted. Simulation results showed that our approach can speed up the search process with little effect on distortion performance compared with other adaptive approaches.
KeywordsAdaptive hexagon search Diamond search Motion estimation Motion strength
This project is supported by Science and Technological Program for Dongguan’s Higher Education, Science and Research, and Health Care Institutions. Project number: 2012108102028.
- 1.Ugur, K., Alshin, A., Alshina, E., Bossen, F.: Motion compensated prediction and interpolation filter design in H.265/HEVC. IEEE J. Mag. 7(6), 946–956 (2013). Nokia Corp., Tampere, FinlandGoogle Scholar
- 4.Sourabh, R., Neeta, T.: Hexagonal based search pattern for motion estimation in H.264/AVC. World Comput. Sci. Inf. Technol. J. 1(4), 162–166 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Goel, S., Ismail, Y., Bayoumi, M.A.: Adaptive search window size algorithm for fast motion estimation in H.264/AVC standard. In: The 48th Midwest Symposium on Circuits and System, vol. 2, pp. 1557–1560 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Kim, S.E., Han, J.K., Kim, J.G.: An efficient scheme for motion estimation using multireference frames in H.264/AVC. IEEE Trans. 8(3), 457–466 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Wong, H.M., Au, O.C., Ho, C.W., et al.: Enhanced predictive motion vector field adaptive search technique (E-PMVFAST) -based on future mv prediction. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, pp. 1–4 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Tourapis, A.M., Au, O.C., Liou, M.L.: Fast block-matching motion estimation using predictive motion vector field adaptive search technique (PMVFAST). In: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 MPEG99/m5866, Noordwijkerhout, The Netherland, March 2000Google Scholar