A Distributed Mobility Support in SDN-Based LTE/EPC Architecture
As smart phone has rapidly proliferated over the past few years, LTE operators endeavor to cope with large mobile data traffic volumes. To solve such problems, we propose a new SDN-based distributed mobility management supporting distributed P-GWs and centralized control plane in LTE/EPC networks. For enhancing network performance more, we also propose a route optimization strategy for internal traffic exchanged between LTE users. The proposed solutions’ performance is compared with the conventional LTE/EPC network’s scheme in terms of the P-GW data processing volume and the number of valid data sessions. The comparison results show that the proposed solution can be an efficient way to enhance the scalability of LTE/EPC core networks.
KeywordsDistributed mobility support LTE/EPC SDN
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Liu, D., et al.: Distributed Mobility Management: Current Practices and Gap Analysis. IETF RFC 7429, January 2015Google Scholar
- 3.Bernardos, C.J.: PMIPv6-based Distributed Anchoring. IETF Internet Draft, draft-bernardos-dmm-distributed-anchoring-05, March 2015Google Scholar
- 4.Wang, Y., Bi, J.: A solution for IP mobility support in software defined networks. In: Proc. of 23rd ICCCN (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Valtulina, L., Karimzadeh, M., Karagiannis, G., Heijenk, G., Pras, A.: Performance Evaluation of a SDN/OpenFlow-Based Distributed Mobility Management (DMM) Approach in Virtualized LTE Systems. In: Proc of Globecom 2014 Workshop - Cloud Computing Systems, Networks, and Applications (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Chan, H., Pentikousis, K.: Enhanced Mobility Anchoring. IETF Internet draft, draft-chan-dmm-enhanced-mobility-anchoring-00 (work in progress), July 2014Google Scholar
- 7.LENA Design Documentation. http://lena.cttc.es/manual/lte-design.htm