Using Indigenous Narrative Therapy with People of the African Diaspora
The author discusses the role of Narrative Therapy (NT) as a postmodern theory that challenged the worldview of modern theories towards psychotherapy. NT emerged in the mid-1980s from the work of Michael White (Australia) and David Epston (New Zealand). They developed this theory based on their experiences with Australian indigenous/Aboriginal cultures, which had a completely different worldview from western cultures.
KeywordsEating Disorder Family Therapy African Descent Dominant Discourse Narrative Approach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bellinger, J. A. (2013). Dancing through time and space, African dance and the Gewel tradition of Senegal at Suffolk University. The Journal of Pan African Studies, 6(5), 1–20.Google Scholar
- Mbiti, J. S. (1971). African religions and philosophy (Reprint). London, UK: Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Monk, G., Winslade, J., Crockett, K., & Epston, D. (1997). Narrative therapy in practice: The archeology of hope. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Ngazimbi, E. E., Hagedorn, W. B., & Shillingford, M. A. (2008). Use of narrative therapy to support family caregivers of individuals diagnosed with HIV/AIDS. Journal of Psychology in Africa, 18(2), 317–324.Google Scholar
- Weber, M., Davis, K., & McPhie, L. (2006). Narrative therapy, eating disorders, and groups: Enhancing outcomes in rural NSW. Australian Association of Social Workers. doi:10:1080/031244070600985970Google Scholar
- White, M. (1995). Re-authoring lives: Interviews and essays. Adelaide, Australia: Dulwich Centre.Google Scholar
- White, M. (2007). Maps of narrative practice. New York, NY: W. W. Norton & Co.Google Scholar
- White, M., & Epston, D. (1990). Narrative means to therapeutic ends. New York, NY: Norton.Google Scholar
- Winslade, J., Crocket, K., & Monk, G. (1997). The therapeutic relationship. In G. Monk, J. Winslade, K. Crocket, & D. Epston (Eds.), Narrative therapy in practice: The Archeology of hope (pp. 53–81). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar