The Looting of the American Dream
Thomas Jefferson’s dream that all citizens be appropriately educated so that a democracy could flourish and to prevent tyranny by the elite against the general population has been tested by the post-Katrina reality in Louisiana’s public PreK-12 education system.
KeywordsPublic Education Charter School Critical Pedagogy Public High Education Public School Teacher
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dreilinger, D. (2013, December 19). Recovery School District will be country’s first all-charter district in September 2014. The Times-Picayune. Retrieved from www.nola.com
- Giroux, H. A. (2011). On critical pedagogy. New York, NY: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Jefferson, T. (1984). Thomas Jefferson: Writings (Ed. M. D. Peterson). New York, NY: The Library of America.Google Scholar
- Kirylo, J. (2013). Introduction: Critical pedagogy in an age of the marketization of education. In L. M. Christensen & J. Aldridge (Eds.), Critical pedagogy for early childhood and elementary educators (pp. 1–4). New York, NY: Springer.Google Scholar
- Korn, S. (2013, October 23). Why I said no to Teach for America, and why you should too. The Huffington Post. Retrieved from www.huffingtonpost.com
- Lumina Foundation (2012). Louisiana’s attainment data from the Lumina Stronger Nation Report. Retrieved from http://strategylabs.luminafoundation.org
- Ravitch, D. (2012, June 18). Is Louisiana the worst? Diane Ravitch’s Blog. Retrieved from www.dianeravitch.net
- Ravitch, D. (2013). The reign of error: The hoax of the privatization movement and the danger to America’s public schools. New York, NY: Alfred A. Knopf.Google Scholar
- Sacks, P. (1999). Standardized minds. Cambridge, MA: Perseus Publishing.Google Scholar
- Schulte, B. (2005). A troubling bayou tradition. US News & World Report, 139(13), 30.Google Scholar
- Sondel, B. (2013). Raising citizens or raising test scores? Teach for America and ‘no excuses’ charter schools in post-Katrina New Orleans (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin-Madison.Google Scholar