The Pattern Identification Exercise
The Pattern Identification Exercise (PIE) has been used as a qualitative assessment process in career, personal, and mental health counselling. It has been refined over a thirty-year period of time in Canada and in many other countries. We continue to be amazed at the results that can be realised through this seemingly simple and direct exploratory approach.
KeywordsCareer Development Analogical Reasoning Career Counseling Mental Health Counselling Vocational Guidance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amundson, N. E., & Cochran, L. (1984). Analyzing experiences using an adaptation of a heuristic model. Canadian Counsellor, 18, 183–186.Google Scholar
- Amundson, N. E. (2009a). Active engagement: The being and doing of career counselling (3rd ed.). Richmond, BC: Ergon Communications.Google Scholar
- Amundson, N. E. (2009b). Active engagement in action. Richmond. BC: Ergon Communications.Google Scholar
- Amundson, N. E. (2010). Metaphor making: Your career, your life, your way. Richmond, BC: Ergon Communications.Google Scholar
- Amundson, N. E., & Poehnell, G. (2004). Career pathways (3rd ed.). Richmond, BC: Ergon Communications.Google Scholar
- Greenwood, A., Amundson, N., & Niles, S. (2005). Career counseling: Work in progress. Columbus, OH: Pearson, Merrill Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Hofstadter, D. (2001). Analogy as the core of cognition. In D. Gentner, K. Holyoak, & B. Kokinov (Eds.), The analogical mind: Perspectives from cognitive science (pp. 499–538). Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press/Bradford Book.Google Scholar
- Schlossberg, N. K., Lynch, A. Q., & Chickering, A. W. (1989). Improving higher education environments for adults. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Westwood, M. J., Amundson, N. E., & Borgen, W. A. (1994). Starting points: Finding your route to employment. Ottawa, ON: Human Resources Development Canada.Google Scholar
- Young, R. E., Becker, A. L., & Pike, K. L. (1970). Rhetoric: Discovery and change. New York, NY: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.Google Scholar