Making a Strong University Stronger
On an October day in 2010, a professor of economics was lecturing students at the Aarhus School of Business at Aarhus University on labour market dynamics. The professor was Dale T. Mortensen, a Niels Bohr Professor at Aarhus University, who for a number of years had divided his time between Aarhus University and Northwestern University in Chicago, US. Immediately before his lecture, Professor Mortensen received a call with the news that he was to receive the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences for his ground-breaking research on labour market dynamics. After the lecture, national and international media rushed in, and for a few hours, Aarhus University was turned completely upside down.
KeywordsDegree Programme Knowledge Exchange Core Activity Talent Development European High Education Area
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aarhus University. (2003). Explanatory Notes to the Draft Bill on Universities: The University Act. Retrieved April 12, 2012, from http://www.ubst.dk/en/laws-and-decrees/Explanatory%20Notes%20to%20the%20Draft%20Bill%20on%20Universities%20%28The%20University%20Act%29.pdf
- Aarhus University. (2007). The University Act. Retrieved April 12, 2012, from http://en.vtu.dk/acts-etc/prevailing-laws-and-regulations/act-on-universities
- Aarhus University. (2008a). Aarhus University Strategy 2008–2012. Retrieved April 12, 2012, from http://www.au.dk/fileadmin/ www.au.dk/strategi/download/strategy2008-2012_02.pdf
- Aarhus University. (2008b). Aarhus University - Graduate education at its heart. In G. J. Curtis & A. Bould (Eds.), Cambridge 800: Cambridge University Students’ Union Looks Back on 800 Years of Educational Excellence. St. James’ House: Regal Press Limited.Google Scholar
- Aarhus University. (2010). Tomorrow’s Aarhus University. Retrieved April 12, 2012, from http://www.au.dk/en/about/changes/
- Aarhus University. (2011). The Academic Development Process. Working Report, Aarhus University Senior Management Group. Retrieved April 12, 2012, from http://medarbejdere.au.dk/fileadmin/res/fau/dok/fau_report_chapters1-and-2-UK.pdf
- Commission of European Communities. (2006). Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament. Retrieved April 12, 2012, from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2006:0208:FIN:EN:PDF
- European Commission. (2011). The Higher Education Modernization Agenda. Retrieved April 12, 2012, from http://ec.europa.eu/education/higher-education/doc1320_en.htm
- European Higher Education Area. (2012). Bologna Process: European Higher Education Area. Retrieved April 12, 2012, from http://www.ehea.info
- European University Association. (2011). Statement by the European University Association in Response to the European Commission Consultation on the Modernization of Higher Education in Europe. Retrieved April 12, 2012, from http://www.eua.be/Libraries/Publications/EUA_Statement_in_response_to_EC_Consultation_on_Modernisation_of_Higher_Education_in_Europe.sflb.ashx
- Holm-Nielsen, L. B. (2008). Reforming Denmark’s universities for the global market: A report on strategic steps to meet global competition for talent. In Strategies to Win the Best: German Approaches in International Perspective, the Proceeding of the Second Forum on the Internationalization of Sciences and Humanities. Berlin: Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.Google Scholar
- Holm-Nielsen, L. B. (2009a). Research institutions merging to achieve critical mass: The case of Denmark. Monografia, 339–341. Retrieved April 12, 2012, from http://www.fundacioncyd.org/wps/wcm/connect/737fa0042b710f6bb7efb75e36717f7/MONOGRAF%C3%8DA+ICYD+2009.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
- Holm-Nielsen, L. B. (2009b). Aarhus University in the Global Market: Opportunities, Limits, and Limitations. Retrieved April 12, 2012, from http://www.au.dk/fileadmin/ www.au.dk/Oplaeg_og_foredrag/2009/Stuttgart_17.09.pdf
- Holm-Nielsen, L. B. (2010). Research fundraising strategies. In S. Bergan, E. Egron-Polak, J. Kohler, L. Purser, & M. Vukasović (Eds.), Leadership and Governance in Higher Education. Berlin: Raabe.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation. (2003). Implementation of the Bologna Goals in Denmark. Retrieved April 12, 2012, from http://www.ehea.info/Uploads/Documents/DENMARK_2003.PDF
- Russo, G. (2010, June 23). For love and money. Nature, 465, 1104–1107. Retrieved April 12, 2012, from http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/2010/100624/full/nj7301-1104a.html
- Times Higher Education. (2010, June 17). The most cited nations: Data provided by Thomson Reuters from its National Science Indicators, 2005–09. Times Higher Education. Retrieved April 12, 2012, from http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storyCode=412083§ioncode=26.