This book is the product of a collective journey undertaken by researchers with a shared interest in the family forms of agricultural production and in how to name them. It is based on the observation of the increasing divergence between our – often aging – representations and agrarian and urban realities in constant flux, with an instantaneous flow of information between these usually very distant worlds.
The book’s contribution is to reveal the diversity of family forms of agriculture around the world. Each of the authors focuses on a particular form of family farming. One of the characteristics of family farming models is their ability to flourish in both types of environments: those favourable to agricultural production as well as those burdened with harsh constraints where commercial and family business forms of agriculture do not venture. The productive systems developed in these unfavourable environments demonstrate exceptional capacities of innovation that have, in some cases,...
- Bélières J-F, Bonnal P, Bosc P-M, Losch B, Marzin J, Sourisseau J-M, Baron V, Loyat J (2013) Les agricultures familiales du monde. Définitions, contributions et politiques publiques. Cirad/AFD, January 2013, 276 pGoogle Scholar
- Bosc P-M, Sourisseau J-M (2012) Describing the changing diversity of activity system of rural households: The Sustainable Rural Livelihoods framework revisited to document agricultural transformations. Communication XIII World congress of sociology, Lisbon, July 29-August 4.Google Scholar
- Commons JR (1931) Institutional economics. Am Econ Rev 21:648–657Google Scholar
- Ellis F (2000) Rural livelihoods and diversity in developing countries. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 273 pGoogle Scholar
- Gasselin P, Vaillant M, Bathfield B (2012) The activity system: a position paper. In: Producing and reproducing farming systems: new modes of organisation for the sustainable food systems of tomorrow, 10 IFSA European symposium, 1–4 July 2012, Aarhus University, Denmark. Retrieved 17 January 2018. https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/file/index/docid/742998/filename/23_Gasselin-Vaillant-Bathfield_Vdef.pdf
- Les Jeudis d’Art-Dev (2012) Des ménages aux territoires. Concepts et méthodologies. Restitution des présentations et discussions. Session of 12 July 2012Google Scholar
- Nussbaum MC (2012) Capabilités. Comment créer les conditions d’un monde plus juste? Flammarion, Climats, Paris, 300 pGoogle Scholar
- Sen A (2000) Freedom, rationality and social choice: the arrow lectures and other essays. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 400 pGoogle Scholar