In silico Identification of Eukaryotic Promoters
The identification of promoters is essential for complete annotation of genomes and better understanding of gene regulatory networks. Experimental methods for promoter identification are costly, time-consuming and labor intensive. Hence, in silico methods are an attractive alternative. Computational methods for promoter prediction methods are easy, fast and can provide reliable results. A promoter prediction algorithm identifies promoter regions based on the idea that, promoter regions are different from other genomic regions in their features (sequence, context and structure). Promoter prediction algorithms are broadly classified as ab initio, hybrid and homology-based, depending on the information used for model design. The different approaches used in promoter prediction are briefly described here.
KeywordsPromoter prediction programs FirstEF CpGProD Eponine PromoterInspector PromPredict EP3 PromH
- Abeel T, Saeys Y, Bonnet E, Rouze P, Van de Peer Y (2008a) Generic eukaryotic core promoter prediction using structural features of DNA. Genome Res 18(2):310–323Google Scholar
- Abeel T, Saeys Y, Rouze P, Van de Peer Y (2008b) ProSOM: core promoter prediction based on unsupervised clustering of DNA physical profiles. Bioinformatics 24(13):24–31Google Scholar
- Carninci P, Sandelin A, Lenhard B, Katayama S, Shimokawa K, Ponjavic J, Semple CA, Taylor MS, Engstrom PG, Frith MC, Forrest AR, Alkema WB, Tan SL, Plessy C, Kodzius R, Ravasi T, Kasukawa T, Fukuda S, Kanamori-Katayama M, Kitazume Y, Kawaji H, Kai C, Nakamura M, Konno H, Nakano K, Mottagui-Tabar S, Arner P, Chesi A, Gustincich S, Persichetti F, Suzuki H, Grimmond SM, Wells CA, Orlando V, Wahlestedt C, Liu ET, Harbers M, Kawai J, Bajic VB, Hume DA, Hayashizaki Y (2006) Genome-wide analysis of mammalian promoter architecture and evolution. Nat Genet 38(6):626–635PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang J, Ma C, Zhou D, Zhang L, Zhou Y (2012) Accurately predicting transcription start sites using logitlinear model and local oligonucleotide frequencies. In: Bio-Inspired Computing and Applications, pp 107–114Google Scholar
- Zhang MQ (2011) Computational promoter prediction in a vertebrate genome. In: Handbook of Statistical Bioinformatics, pp 73–85Google Scholar