Terahertz Imaging System Based on Superconducting Heterodyne Integrated Receiver
The development of terahertz imaging instruments for security systems is on the cutting edge of terahertz technology. We are developing a THz imaging system based on a superconducting integrated receiver (SIR). An SIR is a new type of heterodyne receiver based on an SIS mixer integrated with a flux-flow oscillator (FFO) and a harmonic mixer which is used for phase-locking the FFO. Employing an SIR in an imaging system means building an entirely new instrument with many advantages compared to traditional systems.
In this project we propose a prototype THz imaging system using an 1 pixel SIR and 2D scanner. At a local oscillator frequency of 500 GHz the best noise equivalent temperature difference (NETD) of the SIR is 10 mK at an integration time of 1 s and a detection bandwidth of 4 GHz. The scanner consists of two rotating flat mirrors placed in front of the antenna consisting of a spherical primary reflector and an aspherical secondary reflector. The diameter of the primary reflector is 0.3 m. The operating frequency of the imaging system is 600 GHz, the frame rate is 0.1 FPS, the scanning area is 0.5 × 0.5 m2, the image resolution is 50 × 50 pixels, the distance from an object to the scanner was 3 m. We have obtained THz images with a spatial resolution of 8 mm and a NETD of less than 2 K.
KeywordsTemperature Resolution Intermediate Frequency Noise Temperature Conversion Gain Noise Equivalent Temperature Difference
- 4.Luukanen A, Gronberg L, Helisto P, Penttil JS, Seppa H, Sipola H, Dietlein CR, Grossman EN (2006) An array of antenna-coupled superconducting microbolometers for passive indoors real-time THz imaging. Proc SPIE 6212:270–27Google Scholar
- 7.Gershenzon EM, Gol’tsman GN, Gogidze IG, Gousev YP, Elant’ev AI, Karasik BS, Semenov AD (1990) Millimeter and submillimeter range mixer based on electronic heating of superconducting films in the resistive state. Sov Phys Supercond 3:1582–1597Google Scholar
- 11.de Lange G, Boersma D, Dercksen J, Dmitriev P, Ermakov AB, Filippenko LV, Golstein H, Hoogeveen RWM, de Jong L, Khudchenko AV, Kinev NV, Kiselev OS, van Kuik B, de Lange A, Rantwijk J, Sobolev AS, Mikhail Y, Torgashin EV, Yagoubov PA, Koshelets VP (2010) Development and characterization of the superconducting integrated receiver channel of the TELIS atmospheric sounder. Supercond Sci Technol 23:45–61Google Scholar
- 12.Koshelets VP, Dmitriev PN, Ermakov AB, Filippenko LV, Khudchenko AV, Kinev NV, Kiselev OS, Sobolev AS, Torgashin MY (2009) On-board Integrated submm spectrometer for atmosphere monitoring and radio astronomy. ISTC thematic workshop on perspective materials, devices and structures for space applications, Yerevan, Armenia, 26–28 MayGoogle Scholar
- 13.Esepkina NA, Korolkov DV, Pariyskiy YN (1973) Radiotelescopes and radiometers (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 15.Ozhegov RV, Gorshkov KN, Gol’tsman GN, Kinev NV, Koshelets VP (2011) Stability of terahertz receiver based on superconducting integrated receiver. Supercond Sci Technol 24:035–038Google Scholar