A Design Environment for Product Knowledge Management and Data Exchange
This paper reports on a distributed design environment under development for product knowledge management and information exchange. The system is able to use companies’ existing base of knowledge and to push the manufacturing knowledge higher up into the design chain to reduce the need for costly and time consuming reworks and engineering changes. The design environment uses an Open Source knowledge based system Protégé and enables data/knowledge exchange through international standards for product data model exchange (ISO STEP) and the Resource Description Framework (RDF).
KeywordsDesign Knowledge Management Product Data Management and Exchange Distributed and Collaborative Design.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Shyamsundar N., Gadh R., Internet-based collaborative product design with assembly features and virtual design spaces, CAD, Vol. 33, No. 9, pp. 637–651, 2001.Google Scholar
- 4.Zha X.F., Du H., A PDES/STEP-based model and system for concurrent integrated design and assembly planning. Computer-Aided Design, Volume 34, Issue 14, 1 December 2002, Pages 1087–1110, 2001.Google Scholar
- 7.Song E.Y., Feng S.C., Information Modeling of Conceptual Design Integrated with Process Planning, Symposia on Design For Manufacturability The 2000 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, in Orlando, Florida, Nov. 5–10, 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.Rudolph S., Noser H., On Engineering Design Generation with XML- based Knowledge- Enhanced Grammars, Proceedings IFIP WG5.2Workshop on Knowledge Intensive CAD Parma, Italy, May 22–24, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Open Source Developer Network, TUTOS, Protégé and Open-Cascade, www.osdn.org, 2002.Google Scholar
- 11.Adachi Y., IFC Model Server, VTT Technical Research Centre, Espoo, Finland 2002.Google Scholar
- 12.Workflow Management Coalition, XML Process Definition Language, www.wfmc.org, 2002.Google Scholar