A Single Scatter Simulation Technique for Scatter Correction in 3D PET
3D PET emission data acquired without interplane septa contain a component of scattered radiation which may exceed 30% for brain scans and 50% for chest studies. In order to obtain quantitative images by means of conventional 3D reconstruction algorithms, correction for this scatter component is essential. To this end, we have developed and implemented a single scatter simulation technique for scatter correction which is closely integrated with standard 3D filtered backprojection reconstruction. In this paper we describe this technique, and present scatter correction results from phantom studies.
KeywordsScatter Correction Scatter Fraction Projection View Scatter Component Attenuation Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Grootoonk, S., Spinks, T.J., Michel C., and Jones, T. (1991) Correction for scatter using a dual energy window technique in a tomograph operated without septa, 1991 IEEE Med. Img. Conf. Rec. 3, 1569–1573.Google Scholar
- 7.Bendriem, B., Trébossen, R., Frouin, V., and Syrota, A. (1993) A PET Scatter Correction Using Simultaneous Acquisitions with Low and High Lower Energy Thresholds, 1993 IEEE Med. Img. Conf. Rec. 3, 1779–1783.Google Scholar
- 9.Ollinger, J.M. and Johns, G.C. (1993) Model-Based Scatter Correction for Fully 3D PET, 1993 IEEE Med. Img. Conf. Rec. 2, 1264–1268.Google Scholar
- 12.Goggin, A.S. and Ollinger, J.M. (1994) A Model for Multiple Scatters in Fully 3D PET, 1994 IEEE Med. Img. Conf. Rec., 4, 1609–1613.Google Scholar
- 14.Watson, C.C., Newport, D., Casey, M.E., deKemp, R.A., Beanlands, R.S., and Schmand, M. (1996) Evaluation of Simulation-Based Scatter Correction for 3D PET Cardiac Imaging, submitted to IEEE Trans. Nuc. Sci. Google Scholar
- 15.deKemp, R.A., Jones, W.F., Beanlands, R.S., and Nahmias, C. (1995) Design and Performance of 3D Single Photon Transmission Measurement on a Positron Tomograph with Continuously Rotating Detectors, Proc. 1995 Int. Mtg. Fully Three-Dim. Img. Recon. Rad. Nucl. Med., Aix-les-Bains, France, 51–54.Google Scholar
- 17.Casey, M.E., Gadagkar, H., and Newport, D. (1995) A Component Based Method for Normalization in Volume PET, Proc. 1995 Int. Mtg. Fully Three-Dim. Img. Recon. Rad. Nucl. Med., Aix-les-Bains, France, 67–71.Google Scholar