A “Heritage” from Uranium Mining in Poland
In the Lower Silesia region of Poland, extensive uranium exploration and mining activities took place in the early 1950s under the supervision of Soviet engineers and managers. Uranium mining operations were opened at Kowary, Podgórze, Radoniów, and Kletno sites, while extensive uranium exploration was developed in numerous localities over Lower Silesia. Ore from three underground mines was transported directly to the Soviet Union for twelve years (1951-1963). Chemical processing of low-grade ore waste in Kowary began in 1969 and lasted until 1972.