Nuclear Power: Is it Worth the Risk?
In considering the ethical implications of the use of nuclear power, the chief question to be addressed is this: Can the use of nuclear power be justified, given that it involves serious risks of harm to human beings and their environment? Are the risks involved in the use of nuclear power morally acceptable?
KeywordsRisk Assessment Nuclear Accident Nuclear Waste Disposal Prudent Policy Social Policy Maker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cohen, B.L. 1974. “Perspectives on the Nuclear Debate.” Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists 30(9): 35–39.Google Scholar
- Gould, L.C. 1983. “The Radioactive Waste Management Problem.” In C.A. Walker, L.C. Gould and E.J. Woodhouse, eds., Too Hot to Handle. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Hynes, M., and E. Vanmarcke. 1976. “Reliability of Embankment Performance Predictions.” Proceedings of the ASCE Engineering Mechanics Division Specialty Conference. Waterloo, Ontario, Canada: University of Waterloo Press.Google Scholar
- Kates, R.W. 1978. Risk Assessment of Environmental Hazard. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Kuhlman, C.W. 1976. “ERDA Waste Management Program.” In Proceedings of Conference on Public and Policy Issues in Nuclear Waste Management. Chicago, October 27-29. Washington, D.C.: Harrison Associates.Google Scholar
- Lovins, A.B. 1977. Soft Energy Paths: Toward a Durable Peace. Cambridge, MA: Ballinger.Google Scholar
- Lowrance, W.W. 1976. Of Acceptable Risk. Los Altos, CA: W. Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- Rowe, W.D. 1977. An Anatomy of Risk. New York: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- Schumacher, E.F. 1973. Small is Beautiful: Economics as if People Mattered. New York: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- Schwing, R.C.and W.A. Albers. eds. 1980. Societal Risk Assessment: How Safe is Safe Enough? New York: Plenum.Google Scholar
- Slovic, P., and Fischhoff, B. 1983. “How Safe is Safe Enough? Determinants of Perceived and Acceptable Risk.” In CA. Walker, L.C. Gould and E.J. Woodhouse, eds., Too Hot to Handle. New Haven: Yale University Press, pp. 112–150.Google Scholar
- Woodhouse, E.J. 1972. “Revising the Future of the Third World: An Ecological Perspective on Development.” World Politics, October 1-33.Google Scholar