Applications and limitations of rhizotrons and minirhizotrons for root studies
This paper discusses two glass-wall techniques-rhizotrons and minirhizotrons. Rhizotrons are covered underground walkways with clear windows on one or both sides. Their design varies somewhat with the type of research to be conducted in them. A minirhizotron consists of a clear tube inserted into the soil then some type of viewing arrangement is lowered into the tube. In both techniques, roots and their rhizosphere organisms can be observed at the soil-wall boundary.
Key wordsrhizosphere dynamics rhizotrons root studies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dyer D and Brown D A 1980 In situ root observation using fiber optic /video and fluorescence. In Agron. Abstracts p. 80, Madison, WI.Google Scholar
- Fordham R 1972 Observations on the growth of roots and shoots of tea (Camellia sinensis L.) in Southern Malawi. J. Hortic. Sci. 47, 221–229.Google Scholar
- Freeman B M and Smart B E 1976 A root observation laboratory for studies with grapevines. Am. J. Enol. Viticulture. 27, 36–39.Google Scholar
- Glover J 1967 The simultaneous growth of sugarcane roots and tops in relation to soil and climate. Proc. South African Sugar Tech. Assn. 41, 143–159.Google Scholar
- Huxley P A and Turk A 1967 A new root observation laboratory for coffee. Kenya Coffee 156–159.Google Scholar
- Rogers W S 1969 The East Mailing root-observation laboratories. In Root Growth. Ed. W J Whittington. pp 361–376. Butterworth, London.Google Scholar
- Taylor H M 1969 The rhizotron at Auburn Alabama … a plant root observation laboratory. Auburn U. Agr. Expt. Sta. Circ. 197, 9 p.Google Scholar
- Taylor H M 1987 Minirhizotron Observation Tubes: Methods and Applications for Measuring Rhizosphere Dynamics. ASA Special Publication 50, American Society of Agronomy, Madison, WI.Google Scholar
- Taylor H M and Willatt S T 1981 Utilization of rhizotrons in root research. In The Soil/Root System in Relation to Brazilian Agriculture. Eds. R S Russell, K Igue and Y R Mehta. pp 319–337. Instituto Agronomica do Parana, Londrina, Brazil: IAPAR.Google Scholar
- Upchurch D R 1985 Relationship between observations in minirhizotrons and true root length density. Ph.D. Diss. Texas Tech University Press. Lubbock.Google Scholar