Dust, Gas and Cosmic Rays in the Interstellar Medium
The case is made for supernova remnants being the source of the energy of the bulk of the cosmic radiation below 1010eV — and perhaps to higher energies too. An analysis of the inter-relation of the cosmic ray particle flux, the ISM and the cosmic gamma radiation leads to the claim that the mass of molecular hydrogen in the ISM is much less than commonly thought. The inter-relation of gas and dust allows conclusions to be drawn about the latter, too. It is concluded that, with certain provisos, the mass of cold dust in the Galaxy is less than sometimes claimed.
KeywordsSupernova Remnant Dust Cloud Virial Theorem Oort Cloud Giant Molecular Cloud
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cavallo, G., Palumbo, G.G.C. and Vettolani, G., 1981, Proc. 17th Int. Cosmic Ray Conf., Paris, 9, 230.Google Scholar
- Drury, L. O’C., 1990. Proc. 21st Int. Cosmic Ray Conf., Adelaide, (in press).Google Scholar
- Frisch, P.C. and York, D.G., 1986, ‘The Galaxy and the Solar System’, eds. R. Smoluchowski, J.N. Bahcall and M. Matthews (Univ. Arizona Press, Tucson Ariz.).Google Scholar
- Giler, M., Szabelska, B., Wdowczyk, J. and Wolfendale, A.W., 1987, Proc. 20th Int. Cosmic Ray Conf., Moscow, 2, 211.Google Scholar
- Issa, M.R., MacLaren, I. and Wolfendale, A.W., 1990. Astron. Astrophys. (in press).Google Scholar
- Kocharov, G.E., Konstantinov, A.N. and Levchenko, V.A., 1990, Proc. 21st Int. Cosmic Ray Conf., Adelaide, 7, 120.Google Scholar
- Strong, A.W. et al., 1987 Proc. 20th Int. Cosmic Ray Conf., Moscow, 1, 125.Google Scholar
- Szabelska, B., Szabelski, J. and Wolfendale, A.W., 1990. (to be published).Google Scholar
- Vogel, J.C., 1983, Radiocarbon, 25, 213.Google Scholar
- Wolfendale, A.W. and Young, E.C.M., 1977, Proc. 12th ESLAB Symp. Frascati (ESA SP-124 July 1977), 157.Google Scholar
- Wolfendale, A.W., 1990, 7th Man. Conf. on Mol. Clouds, (Camb. Univ. Press, in press).Google Scholar