Specificity of glucocorticoid inhibition of synovial prostaglandin synthesis
Inhibition of prostaglandin (PG) synthesis contributes to the antiinflammatory activity of a number of anti-rheumatic compounds. Inhibition of PG synthesis by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g. aspirin, indomethacin) has been observed in experiments with cell-free preparations of PG synthase as well as in intact tissues and cells1–3. These agents appear to act primarily by blocking the enzyme cylo-oxygenase which catalyses the initial step in synthesis of PGs from their fatty acid precursor, arachidonic acid4.
KeywordsPhorbol Myristate Acetate Synovial Fibroblast Synovial Cell Phorbol Myristate Acetate Fatty Acid Precursor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vane, J. R. (1971). Inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis as a mechanism of action for aspirinlike drugs. Nature (London), New Biol., 231, 232Google Scholar
- 3.Smith, J. B. and Willis, A. L. (1971). Aspirin selectively inhibits prostaglandin production in human platelets. Nature (London), New Biol., 231, 235Google Scholar
- 5.Newcombe, D. S., Fahey, J. V. and Ishikawa, Y. (1977). Hydrocortisone inhibition of the bradykinin activation of human synovial fibroblasts. Prostaglandins, 13, 235Google Scholar
- 10.Robinson, D. R., Bastian, D. and Servello, L. (1979). Mechanism of corticosteroid inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis by rheumatoid synovial tissue. Arthritis Rheum, 22, 650Google Scholar
- 12.Foley, J. E., Jeffries, M., and Munck, A. (1980). Glucocorticoid effectson incorporation of lipid and protein precursors into rat thymus cell fractions. J. Steroid Biochem. (In press)Google Scholar
- 13.Jenrenaud, B. and Renold, A. E. (1960). Studies on rat adipose tissue in vitro. VII. Effects of adrenal cortical hormones. J. Biol. Chem., 235, 2217Google Scholar
- 14.McMillan, R.M., Fahey, J.V., Brinckerhoff, C. E., and Harris, E. D., Jr. (1980). Secretion of inflammatory mediators from synovial fibroblasts: dissociation of collagenase and prostaglandin release. Samuelsson, B., Ramwell, P. W. and Paoletti, R. (eds.) In Advances in Prostaglandin and Thromboxane Research. Vol 8, p 1701. (New York: Raven Press)Google Scholar
- 18.McMillan, R. M.and Harris. E. D., Jr. (unpublished data)Google Scholar