Prevention — realistic or not?
Prevention ideally is better than cure — but it is necessary to consider what is preventable and who should be receiving it. Any major improvements in health in the future are likely to be achieved through prevention rather than through more and better modern medical miracles.
KeywordsDental Caries Ventricular Septal Defect Preventive Care Family Practice Family Doctor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belloc, N. B., (1973). Relationship of health practices and mortality. Prey. Med. 9, 469Google Scholar
- Belloc, N. B. and Breslow, L. (1972). Relationship of physical health status and health practices. Prey. Med. 1, 409Google Scholar
- Belloc, N. B., Breslow, L. and Hochstim, J. R. (1970) . Measurement of physical health in a general population survey. Am. J. Epidemiol., 93, 5, 328Google Scholar
- Breslow, L. and Enstrom, J. E. (1980). Persistence of health habits and their relationship to mortality. Prey. Med., 9, 469Google Scholar
- Spitzer, et al., (1979). Canadian task force on the periodic health evaluation. Can. Med. J., 121, 1193-1254Google Scholar
- Office of Population Censuses and Surveys (1970-72). Occupational Mortality. England and Wales decennial suppl. Series DS No. 1. (London: Office of Population Censuses and Surveys)Google Scholar
- Rakel, R. E. (1977). Principles of Family Medicine. (London: W. B. Saunders)Google Scholar
- Robbins, L. C. and Hall, J. H. (1970). How to Practice Prospective Medicine. (Indianopolis: Methodist Hospital)Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (1968). WHO Public Health Paper 34Google Scholar
- Canadian Task Force on the Periodic Health Examination (1979). The Periodic Health Examination. Can. Med. Assoc. J., 121, 1193Google Scholar
- Eggertson, S. C., Schneeweiss, R. and Bergman, J. J. (1980) . An updated pro¬tocol for pediatric health screening. .J. Fam. Pract., 10(1), 25Google Scholar
- Frame, P. S. and Carlson, S.J. (1975). A critical review of periodic health screening using specific screening criteria. J. Fam. Pract., 2, 29, 123, 189 and 283Google Scholar
- Geyman, J. P. (ed.) (1979). Preventive Care in Family Practice. ( New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts )Google Scholar
- National Conference on Preventive Medicine, Task Force (1976). Theory, prac¬tice and application of prevention in personal health services; and, Quality control and evaluation of preventive health services. In Preventive Medicine USA. Task Force Reports for the National Conference on Preventive Medicine, Bethesda, Maryland, 1975. ( New York: Prodist )Google Scholar
- Schneiderman L.J. (ed.) (1981). The Practice of Preventive Health Care. ( Menlo Park: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company )Google Scholar